Jets won't work

Hello!

I have a late model (2001) Hot Springs Sovern. The problem began with leaks in a couple hoses. I fixed those and refilled the hot tub. The jets worked, but the heater didn't. The heater relay board was in pretty rough shape, so I replaced it. Now, the heat works, but the jets don't. When I try to turn the jets on, I hear a click and a small red light flashes on the main circuit board. I know it's not an air lock because the the jets worked after initially filling it. The only thing I can think of is that the main circuit board (looks original) might not be fully compatible with the newer heat relay board-maybey they aren't communicating properly?. Other than that, I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

I can see a burn on the relay board. Not sure what all that stuff is on the main boatd, but I doubt it is a good sign. Your jumpers are installed on the main wiring connector, which I am pretty sure should not be on it for this wiring configuration. 

On the inside of the box cover is a wiring diagram, please post a pic of that.

I don't think it matters, it is just a heater coil. My bigger concern is the jumper that appears to connect 1 to H1 and 3 to 4. 

There is a clear burn above 1. The jumper from 1 to H1 creates a dead short in the right relay, but he said the heater works which it cannot under those circumstances. 

And on a 2 breaker set-up 3 and 4 should be different breakers as I recall. If you track the printed circuits 1 feeds the left relay then H2, 2 feeds the black wire, 3 feeds the right relay then H1, 4 feeds the red wire, and 5 feeds the white wire. So 1 and 3 are the 30 amp heater breaker, and 2, 4, and 5 are the 20 amp breaker. In this case the 20 amp is 120v so 4 and 5 should be jumpered, not 3 and 4.

The jets not working after the new relay board was installed is related to the red light blinking which could be the result of the circ pump and main pump not working due to the jumper on 3 to 4 causing either 240v or 0 volts, depending on how it was wired at the panel, to the 120v pumps. My guess is 0 volts as 240 volts should have tripped both of the gfci breakers. The red blinking light being the result of overheat from no flow due to circ pump getting 0 volts. 

And I have never seen anything like that gray stuff all over the main board, but it either suggests a serious blown component or it is external, such as paint or something, that could be shorting control components. By the pattern on the top edge of the box, the cover was on when that happened, so what is the cause? It obviously happened before the relay board was replaced, but it bothers me not knowing what it could be. 

I would say remove the jumper from 1 to H1 and reposition the jumper from 3 to 4 over for 4 to 5 and see if it works. But I suspect the right relay on the heater board is shot. Unless it burned out at the 1 connector first.

@CanadianSpaTech, are you following me?

• Like 1