Dry display for hot tub

Hey guys new to the forums. Looking for any help possible.

I Went out to hot tub and my display was readying “dry”. I understand that this indicates my heater is running dry.  Water level was correct. I drained and re filled the water. I took the panel cover off and attempted to release any air their might be that was locked in by loosening the fittings and retightening  

Any other options I have here before I call a technician ? It’s an alps spa. Unknown how old It was left by previous owner 2 years ago.  

Is the pump that is related to filtering and heating running?

What brand of spa is it.

Post a photo of the circuit board and equipment area so we can see what you are working with.

Remove the filters and reset breaker. Leave filters out until issue is fixed. Remove them from the equation

Thanks for the quick response. Forgot to mention I took filters out and didn’t solve anything. So I ruled that out. 

Jets work. The heater pump turns on. I loosened each fitting next to the vs series box and water came out no hissing of air. 

When I filled the hot tub I put the hose in the filter hole closest to the control panel and the water filled up and the filter line and came out from the top and filled the tub. Does that possibly indicate a clog in that line maybe ? 

Thanks for any help or suggestions ! Greatly appreciate this. 

2C24DEFF-0DB2-4E3D-8351-BC616FA99F98.jpeg

1A63A544-E587-4C44-A876-784A782E04B7.jpeg

The heater pump only feeds to a few jets. It is the smaller pump on the right. It should most likely run continuously. One of the hoses from the manifold to the left of the heater goes up to the ozone injector then to the white tube. There should only be 1 or 2 other hoses on the heater circulation pump. There is no flow in the ozone chamber, so is there flow from the other heat return jet for certain? Turn off power and see if it runs before the dry error comes up. Look where the plastic wet-end connects to the metal motor and see if the shaft is spinning.

Ok I misunderstood. Yea the heater circulation pump runs. The shaft spins. When I look in the tub the 3 heat spots where the heated water usually comes out from currently has no flow except for 1. Sometimes you see a slight bubble out of the other 1 . Then the heat pump shuts off. 

Try backing off the coupler at the face of the pump a half turn or two just to verify there is no air lock. If that doesn't work close off the gate valves on either side and disconnect the coupler at the face of the pump and make sure nothing has gotten past the filters and into where the impeller sits blocking flow.

• Like 1

Ok. It sounds like an air lock, damaged pump, or obstruction. Has it ever been used without the filter installed? Have you lost a nature2 cartridge down the filter pipe?

With the circulation pump running, loosen the pipe union on the left (suction side) of the pump and wiggle the pipe so it opens up a bit. Do not completely unscrew the union, a half turn or so is sufficient.

If that doesn't do it, remove the circulation pump and check the impeller for debris or damage. Check both slice valves to verify that they open inside the pipe. Sometimes the gate can come off the handle and remain closed.

Ok I really appreciate the help.  Heat pump staying on. Loosened the suction fitting and somehow got the air bubble out. The pump still on all 3 spots where the hot water comes out has flow now. 

New issue the hot hot tub says hfl now. Can’t make this up. But you guys are really helping me out !!

3 hours ago, Supra9497 said:

New issue the hot hot tub says hfl now

Again I would check the face of the pump for debris blocking flow...kids toys, spa sponge, t-shirt, rock, Lime slices (6) and yes even a g-string are among a few of the finds I have made over the years  stuck up against the impeller blocking flow.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Again I would check the face of the pump for debris blocking flow...kids toys, spa sponge, t-shirt, rock, Lime slices (6) and yes even a g-string are among a few of the finds I have made over the years  stuck up against the impeller blocking flow.

Well this was the issue. It was little broken up leaves on the face of the pump. I didn’t see them in the water ever but they were there I guess. This got my pressure from 2 out of the 3 water outlets for the heat. 

So i opened the valve after the heater and out came leaves  and now I have pressure from all 3 heat spots!

just wanted to say thanks so much for the help! You guys are great. 

• Like 2