Saltwater Yes or No?

gwmac

I have narrowed down my search for a new tub to the Hotspring Jetsetter LX which is saltwater and the Bullfrog R5L. But I just got a quote from a the Jacuzzi dealer for the J-215 for $6800 so I will need to go check them out before I decide. I'm waiting for the J-315 quote.  I really thought I wanted to try a saltwater system but I read an article and it did give me pause. I also had a bit of sticker shock with those $100 salt cartridges that need to be replaces every 4 months. I have to think going freshwater is a lot cheaper annually for sanitization.  I would love to hear from you pros and users who own and use a saltwater system. Are the arguments in this article valid? I realize it was written by a competitor so is jaded.  If you own a Hot Spring, Caldera, or other brand with saltwater would you do it over again? 

I personally would have gone with saltwater had my Hot Spot SX been salt compatible.  Here are my thoughts.  If cost is a concern, don't get saltwater, or use mineral (Nature2 or Frog) or @ease.  Pretty much only do a basic chlorine or bromine system.  That article by Marquis is their opinion.  I was a Marquis dealer from 2014-2017 and again in 2019.  Marquis is very much against saltwater.  They are big with ozone and the inline frog system.  

Buy the hot tub that best meets your needs without taking the water care system into consideration.  Buy from the dealer that is the most reputable and appears best capable of taking care of you after the sale.  If the above leads you to the Hot Spring and if you still have reservations about the saltwater, see if the dealer will get you an extra salt cartridge or something to help offset the cost.  If once you run out of cartridges and you're still not sold, then switch to something different.

• Like 2

I have since learned that the Jetsetter LX has a choice between ozone and salt. I didn't know that when I posted above. The dealer recommends salt so I have time to think about it since I haven't even got rid or my old spa or torn down the deck and layed a cement slab yet.