New sand filter system

KathyLu

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2020 at 5:02 PM, rspar said:
  1. Plumbing size and number of returns determines your max size pump, filter would be the size of the pool.  I personally hate sand filters and only install cartridge filters generally 400 or 500 sqft.

Yes, but flow rate and volume determine turnover, which is the biggest factor in pump sizing. At least in my experience with pools, which was mostly commercial. The health department was serious about that stuff, and your pool didn't open if you didn't meet turnover requirements.

Cartridge filters in a pool are great until it's time to clean them. I like old school sand with a backwash valve.

On 8/22/2020 at 12:22 AM, RDspaguy said:

Yes, but flow rate and volume determine turnover, which is the biggest factor in pump sizing. At least in my experience with pools, which was mostly commercial. The health department was serious about that stuff, and your pool didn't open if you didn't meet turnover requirements.

Cartridge filters in a pool are great until it's time to clean them. I like old school sand with a backwash valve.

Yes but if you have small plumbing you can only achieve so much flow and volume. For instance an old pool with 1.25" plumbing you're pretty much maxed out even with just a 1hp superflo.  When my kids were little and we had the above ground pools I just plumbed a 1 hp and shot it in the air into the pool.  I don't mine cartridges because most of my customers I change them every 2 or 3 years.  Had a couple sta-rite sand filters for a while they're ok but a whole different animal.  And if they develop a problem you're their a while.