Is Full Foam Maint. A Problem

mendon31

What the heck is that supposed to mean? Are you actually telling people the foam stabilizing the plumbing is somehow a negative thing? It's not as if the pipes are locked in place 2 inches away from the pump connections. I'd love to see the transcript from this sales presentation of yours but I'm afraid I'd crack a rib reading it.

Basically when there isn't enough movement for the pipes to move it becomes brittle near the nipple end of the jet. That is what I experienced with Coleman back when they used full foam. I am just explaining from experience but it wasn't a big issue because the pipes didn't actually leak unless there was freeze damage, just the nipple would become brittle because no movement was enabled.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The argument for thermal pane or thermal lock is that when there is foam there is not enough mobility in the pipes for movement when the pumps are turned on and off. That is the argument I use. In terms of accessability, obviously thermal is better. But, most leaks occur where the components are so foam would not be an issue in that manner. A matter of fact the heat will trap closer to the components but I think PH is more of an issue for rotting the gaskets in the pump. Finding a leak in the pipes for foam is a little harder but manageable. A higher r-value for foam and a lower r-value for thermal lock given a constant r-value for cover= better insulation. Thermal might save a few cents but a full foam heats up quicker. Foam gives more support for the shell unless gavalume steel is used for a thermal pane. They both have there goods and bad and I recommend any top manufacturers whether foam or not.

Anyone that argues that there should be movement in the spa lines should seriously reconsider that arguement. We all know that over time plastics can and do become brittle especially when exposed to oxidizers for long periods of time. When you have movement in the lines and you have pressure being out on plastic jet that are run through the wall of the spa. It is a very common thing to have a spa that is not foam filled and older that begins cracking the jet rings. Full foam offers a lot of advantages in my opinion. I work on them all and yes a spa that is not foam filled is easier to find and repair a leak but I would not own a spa in my area that was not foam filled. My opinion.

Basically when there isn't enough movement for the pipes to move it becomes brittle near the nipple end of the jet. That is what I experienced with Coleman back when they used full foam. I am just explaining from experience but it wasn't a big issue because the pipes didn't actually leak unless there was freeze damage, just the nipple would become brittle because no movement was enabled.

Dont get him started. I was laughing so hard Friday night that I couldnt breath.

That is a crock. The less movement you have the less apt the nipple will be to develop the problem, not the other way around Einstein.

Random Theory 1: The argument for thermal pane or thermal lock is that when there is foam there is not enough mobility in the pipes for movement when the pumps are turned on and off.

Random Theory #2: The foam makes the nipple brittle and the pipe as well Socretese.

Care to consult with your Magic 8-ball for any other unfounded, half-baked scare tactics.