Maggot looking things and ants! *beware,pics*

I opened the lid of the hot tub today and omg. I almost threw up. We moved into a house with a hot tub and before dumping and starting over fresh this has happened one time. We scrubbed it clean, emptied and got all of our chemicals right per the spa store down the street. We’ve only used it once though. Anyway... these maggot looking things are covering every corner under the lid and there are ants just eating away at it. I mean thousands ... I couldn’t believe it. I’m about to get rid of the whole hot tub if I have to keep emptying and treating like this. It’s only been 2 months since we last emptied. What’s causing this??

EFF90B9E-6B36-4633-8E6B-E78506031920.jpeg

9D3BCF80-1770-4E4C-A9CB-390E7D9C3BE9.jpeg

B5C9C74A-19BA-4894-AAA1-3677FB0BC4A8.jpeg

My guess is they are ants and ant larvae or eggs. They are likely nesting in your cover or spa insulation, possibly even inside the pipes, and your activity has disturbed their nest so they are moving. It is warm and safe under the cover, so it is a good place to set up camp. If they are in the cover get a new one.

If they are in the spa insulation, welcome to the club. You can remove the side panels and spray pesticide into the foam, but that won't really solve anything. Insects, mice, even chipmunks and squirrels love spas for a home. Nice and warm year-round with a convenient water source if it is leaking somewhere. I have seen ants nest inside pipes of spas left empty for a while and blow out of jets for weeks. If they are moving it's because the nest is not useable anymore, maybe from leaks flooding it or chemicals in the water.

Remove the sides and see what it looks like. You may have some bigger problems than ants.

• Like 2

Ant's are pretty easy to kill - take out the queen (or queens) and you kill the whole colony in less than a week.   I do my own pest control and Ants can be extremely easy to kill - just put some Ant killer bait down near the ants - they'll take the bait back to the queen, a week later problem solved, no colony.   Given the volume of ants, I'd likely treat multiple times over a month to ensure the entire colony was dead.

Unless they're fire ants, I'd suggest using Borax ant killer - just put a few drops on paper and place it near the ants - and leave them alone for six hours.  Within an hour or two all the drops will be gone (assuming they're regular average black ants or sugar ants).  There is also some pelleted bait you can put down for other ants like Fire ants - but these don't like like those b@stards lol

• Like 2

I had ants - got rid of them with Terro spray.

Mice/chipmunks/rodents = saw someone selling "Rodent Sheriff" - spray ,  2 bottles for $20 (US) - on TV,  and I bought it. 

It turns out,  all it is ,  is peppermint oil.   I don't know if it attracts ants but for some reason it makes rodents nauseous and they run away from it.   And peppermint oil is safe for (non-rodent) pets and kids.

• Like 1