Canadian Spa Company Swift Current V2 Impeller repair

tenzen

Hi all,

I got given two PCU.

1 V1 so canibalised that to get my V1 running, swapped the impeller over and its all good. rest I'll keep for parts.

2 V2 that looks like it'll need a new water pump. Anyone any ideas on finding one? 
Canadian Spa not so helpful on supplying just the water pump!

Just took apart and fixed the impeller in my V1 unit.  I was able to "glue" it back together with epoxy putty...

https://www.amazon.ca/Oatey-31270-Tubes-Display-4-Ounce/dp/B07MKLMMTL/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3UM5BN2I537NB&dchild=1&keywords=oatey+fix+it+stick&qid=1614742942&sprefix=Oatley+fix%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-6

That stuff is amazing and has gotten me out of so many jambs!  I bought this new impeller but it didn't fit...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RFD65Q5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The metal shaft it came with was too short and I couldn't use the original metal shaft because its diameter was too large and would not fit in the hole going through the centre of the impeller.

Anyway, the fix only took me an hour or so.  The unit is on now and back to like new.  Let's hope it lasts!

• 2 weeks later...

im glad i found this,just removed my very noisy pump and found ss shaft worn and plastic bearings worn too.

ive ordered one of the suggested replacements above,but also ordered 4mm ss rod and a 4mm drill, im fortunate enough to have a lathe so i will try drilling out the original and use the new shaft. i also found carbon fibre shafts too,if this works ok i might invest in a carbon fibre shaft. i have gone to 4 mm because the plastic bearings easily accommodated a 3.7mm drill in the most worn area. as far as i can tell the original shaft is 3mm where it isnt tapered with wear, will see what happens.thanks for all info above  

• Like 1

well. the impellor i ordered was too small. i must have followed the wrong link. anyway the 4mm ss rod and drill arrived so i did the mod i described and its all back together and working well, though maybe a 4.1 /4.2 mm drill would have been better, it took some 'easing' of the holes to run free on the spindle, its quieter now than its ever been. ill order a new larger impeller for next time because i think the old one is at its max spindle size now. though i am tempted to see if i can recess the impeller bearing holes and fit small bushes to fit a new shaft when required.  I did have to turn the ends down to 3mm to fit the rubber bushes in the housing snuggly 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Emmak said:

I'm getting an E5 error on my V2 unit. About to inspect the impeller but is it possible the reset the thermal cutout switches, they don't seem to want to be pushed back in..

Mine aren't switches as such or if they are then just cheap! 

Just press them in so they make contact. They don't click or do anything special. As far as I was aware they didn't stay in place either but it worked when I switched it all back on again. 

Hope it helps

37 minutes ago, Emmak said:

Right so you do this when its on? I also cant get the lid of the pump off the check the impellar?

No! Make sure it's unplugged completely before you take anything apart or press anything inside. There should be guides posted further back in this thread how to take it all apart etc

Hi Tenzen - great original post and conversation thread. Have the E05 impeller problem myself. Have temporarily fitted an old Bestway filter pump inline before the PCU to maintain flow through the unit which is working fine as a temp fix. One thing I am not quite sure about is how to get the top of the white pump unit off to get to the impeller (I have stripped the PCU unit down before to get to and remove the pump itself but it seemed to have a tightly fitting top on with a clip either side - do you have to prise these clips open or twist the top or some other way?). Even better if you can send me your linked pdf for impeller replacement which CS seem to have removed! Many thanks

HI folks,  Wow, I am happy that folks found the details interesting and hopefully helpful. 

I'm posting because today somebody reached out to me directly asking for the "pdf" of the instructions because the "ever-helpful" Canadian Spa Company took down the website with the directions. 

See attached file for a version of it I pulled from The Internet Archive (easier than trying to find a file I made a year ago. 😉)

My story ended with the Swift Current V2 just as the winter was coming in.  I ended up selling the spa after having replaced the impeller a few times and then developing a leak in the original pump unit around the heater core -- decided that this unit was simply too much work with too little support from the company. 

Also, for whatever reason, I was not getting email notifications that people were replying in this thread, so sorry for ignoring you all.  :(  

Swift Current V2 Spa impeller replacement directions.pdf

Hi, first of all a thread like this has been needed for some time and so glad I found it after years of fighting with the PCU v1 & v2, thank you for starting this tenzen. I had the E5 error code and tried all of the above possible fixes. I appear to have fixed mine and thought I would share what I did as it may help someone else. The image provided by Akira1424 *hope you don’t mind me using it* below shows an arrow pointing to 2 blade crimp connectors, mine were fixed to the sensor but were a little loose, I used some pliers to tighten to the blade crimps and fixed back onto the sensor with no wiggle and this fixed the issue for me, it must be a very sensitive part and with me stripping down the unit and putting back together numerous times had loosened them. Hope this is of some help 😊

IMG_8228.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my Swift Current hot tub, an older unit/model V1 for ~5 years. I set it up in my basement during winter and on my deck outside during the summer. The impeller broke in two pieces as they are only plastic, the shaft is ok and a small water leak, I ordered 3 Fluval 304/305 impeller only from a pet store online for ~17 dollars each Canadian. Installed and used vacuum grease around the gaskets to help stop the leak and has been running for ~2 months now. If you go this option as a fix, the recirculating water will not be as good as the original impeller, Fluval impeller is smaller. Some extra cleaning might be needed to maintain the scum build up. I turned on the bubbles a couple of times a day when not in use to help recirculate the water. The Company that sells the Unit is a joke so don't hold your breathe on getting almost any replacement parts from them. Taking the Unit apart really isn't that bad, take your time or tackle it with a friend if not able yourself. Another issue I had a couple of years ago, I turned on the bubbles/blower and it sounded the same as usual but no bubbles in the tub. Took apart and with a flashlight I could barely see the corner of a gasket, bigger gasket ~4inch but very thin. Easy fix just reset the gasket.

• 4 weeks later...

We had the e5 code and no water flow at all.  We've stripped down the unit and cleared out some limescale and put it all back together and now we have great flow but a horrible noise as well as a e1 code. Tomorrow we are going to strip it down again.and try and open the pump casing to view inside there. Any other ideas? Thank you 

• 3 weeks later...

On Thursday last week the pump stopped on my V2 after approx 15 months near continuous running. After following this thread and disassembling the unit I discovered the broken impellor. I searched the web and found a replacement on ebay UK that said it was for the V2. It arrived yesterday and it appears to have come from Canadian Spa direct although its not on their parts page. It was an exact match to the old one with only one slight difference being the shaft was white not pink as the original. All working fine this morning.

Ebay link: Canadian Spa Portable Spa V2 PCU Impellor 5056374208714 | eBay

V2 impellor.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hello,

they have taken your link off in

how to change the impeller. I think this is my issue as I keep getting the error code and it’s really crazy they don’t have someone on hand to fix these units. If you can send me the directions I would love to try and conquer this myself. 

6 minutes ago, Jade321 said:

Hello,

they have taken your link off in

how to change the impeller. I think this is my issue as I keep getting the error code and it’s really crazy they don’t have someone on hand to fix these units. If you can send me the directions I would love to try and conquer this myself. 

Sure,  Let me see if the fourm will allow me to attach the file.

Swift Current V2 Spa impeller replacement directions.pdf

Message me again if the file is removed from the post.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Anyone still looking for the impeller replacement guide that no longer shows up in the original post:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200929092448/https://support.canadianspacompany.com/en/support/solutions/articles/6000223884-v2-portable-control-unit-disassembly-guide-impeller-replacement

Mine started the buzzing noise that sounded like a stuck pump, and hitting it soundly around the filter would make it start working again--for a while. Eventually this cool trick obviously stopped working, but looks like replacing the impeller as shown above was exactly what it needed.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Mark

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hey great read thank you do you have the pdf to change the impeller and a link to the impeller ? I want to make sure I’m buying the correct one as I keep getting F-2 on my control was that the same as yours ? :)

• 3 months later...

I have had similar problems, I bought a replacement impeller, pre COVID.   I also went on Amazon and bought 3 mil stainless steel shaft cut it to proper size and was able to get it to work for several years.  Unfortunately the impeller blades finally wore out and 4 years later I’m rebuilding again