2 day old hot springs vanguard already broken

Bummed

just had a new 2020 vanguard hot springs installed Tuesday.

After doing the chemicals, etc, Tub worked great for one use on Wednesday. 

However on Wednesday night I  noticed the indicator light on the front panel died. no big deal, dealer came right out and fixed it Thursday while I was at work. 

Thursday when I got home to look, the Blue power indicator light is off and the control panel is dead.  Flipped the power off and on, and the indicator lights came back up.  Controls worked for a second. However, An hour later when I went for a soak, the buttons on the docking station were dead (Not working and not backlit) and my remote was frozen.  Restarted the remote, and now it’s not able to locate the spa.  So now I have a functionless hot tub (it’s still heating and there’s power to the front panel indicator light and for some reason the exterior lights are on, but the controls are functionless)

dealer came back today and says we need a new control panel, but now I have to wait the weekend...

is this normal?  I thought by paying top dollar I would be getting a premium product.  Seems like a finnicky hunk of garbage so far...

Is it normal, no.  But when dealing with electronics, things like this can happen and if they are going to happen, right away is likely when.  I've been a Hot Spring dealer for 3 years now and have replaced 1 wireless control panel.  

Hot Spring is a premium brand.  Even premium quality products can fail.  Paying "top dollar" means that you should be taken care of by your dealer and the manufacturer.  I can guarantee Hot Spring will stand behind their product.

• Like 2

Not surprised and I am not saying this is your case but....

Manufacturers are giving dealers 5-6-7 month wait times for new stock (and no guarantee for that timeline). So some dealers are giving people whatever they have...floor models, repaired returns that 2016 spa that is sitting on the top shelf in the warehouse...whatever they can come up with because everything on the floor is sold and they have no hope of getting stock for months. I have heard one manufacturer will not be taking new orders until next year. They are 5000 spas behind. Imagine you are a dealer selling that brand with no hope of new stock for the remainder of the year. As i predicted at the start of all this covid...things will be fine for 2-3 months then stock will run out the supply chain will break down and the retail industry will collapse. I see stores now that would dump used.trade in spas because they didn't have the floor space for them and only wanted to sell new spas...well they are not going to the dump now and repairing and flipping used spas might be the only way they survive. 

Oh and Covers...can't get them Retailers are delivering spas without covers or with whatever odd colour the have left on the shelf. 

Retailers were complaining about the shutdown...Only a few saw the writing on the wall but the majority are in for a rough ride and many won't survive.

Just my opinion

@castletonia What have you been told for wait times on stock. Perhaps this is just a Canada thing

On 6/12/2020 at 8:53 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Not surprised and I am not saying this is your case but....

Manufacturers are giving dealers 5-6-7 month wait times for new stock (and no guarantee for that timeline). So some dealers are giving people whatever they have...floor models, repaired returns that 2016 spa that is sitting on the top shelf in the warehouse...whatever they can come up with because everything on the floor is sold and they have no hope of getting stock for months. I have heard one manufacturer will not be taking new orders until next year. They are 5000 spas behind. Imagine you are a dealer selling that brand with no hope of new stock for the remainder of the year. As i predicted at the start of all this covid...things will be fine for 2-3 months then stock will run out the supply chain will break down and the retail industry will collapse. I see stores now that would dump used.trade in spas because they didn't have the floor space for them and only wanted to sell new spas...well they are not going to the dump now and repairing and flipping used spas might be the only way they survive. 

Oh and Covers...can't get them Retailers are delivering spas without covers or with whatever odd colour the have left on the shelf. 

Retailers were complaining about the shutdown...Only a few saw the writing on the wall but the majority are in for a rough ride and many won't survive.

Just my opinion

@castletonia What have you been told for wait times on stock. Perhaps this is just a Canada thing

Highlife Collection is 16 weeks.  Limelight and Hot Spot have not resumed production yet but the assumption is also 16 weeks.

On 6/12/2020 at 9:11 PM, Bummed said:

It’s a 2020 model so I don’t think that should apply. Even if it was a floor model (which I would assume I’d be informed of), I would expect working condition

I would be bummed too especially with the cost and being a new purchase.....

Electronics are a tricky thing.  They don't usually give any warning prior to failure and nothing is 100% reliable.  Really don't like to say this but s**t happens.  I can suggest that it is out of the ordinary and that things like this rarely happen, but it happened to you which honestly makes my statement irrelevant.  What's important now is that your dealer comes through and gets you taken care of and up and running ASAP.  

I'm a big proponent of buying quality.  I'm a bigger proponent of buying from a good dealer.  The quality of the dealer can determine whether you have a good hot tub ownership experience or not.  All hot tubs will break at some point in time.  How responsive the dealer and the company are to resolving those issues is the key.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

We’ve had our Vanguard since August. Remote had to be replaced within the first three weeks. Now our docking station controls won’t respond, remote won’t communicate, can’t pair it because the docking station buttons don’t respond, power is on and light indicators are both on indicating it should be functioning fine. Very frustrating!!!! Contacted our dealer last night, but was really hoping to use it this weekend and holiday.

21 hours ago, Kerri said:

We’ve had our Vanguard since August. Remote had to be replaced within the first three weeks. Now our docking station controls won’t respond, remote won’t communicate, can’t pair it because the docking station buttons don’t respond, power is on and light indicators are both on indicating it should be functioning fine. Very frustrating!!!! Contacted our dealer last night, but was really hoping to use it this weekend and holiday.

Unscrew battery, remove from wireless remote.  Power cycle hottub.  After tub powers up and lights are flashing on dock, install battery into wireless remote. It'll take a minute to come backup

Long story short - your controller lost it's connection to the tub.

Edit, here's a detailed video to walk you through how to pair the remote without even power cycling the tub:

• Like 2