Heater on Tiger River Manora hot tub not working

Water got too hot in my 95 Tiger River Manora M351139. Checked thermometer, said 115°. Turned down temperature all the way. Left for a while with the lid off to cool it down. Came back out and it was still about 114°... and the circulation pump was off. Pulled the GFI. Plugged back in, and circ pump and ozonator went back on. Figure that meant the High Limit Thermistor was working? Unplugged the heater.(top plug). Next day it was down to about 90°. Plugged it back in. Temperature relay seems to click on at about 9 o'clock on the Temp dial.
 Started rising.
Tested with an ohm meter. Said 4.9 4K at 106°. (That was the top plug.)   What is the top plug?
Bottom plug turns off circulation. Said 4.3 ohms at 106°.
Temperature relay seems to click on at about 9 o'clock on the dial even at 106°.
Is there a test for relay also? Got relay back in 2014.
The end of 2009 got a Watkins low flow heater assembly 1.5 x 6 K.
Then a Watkins control thermistor high limit thermostat.
Also in 2014 got a Watkins PWA interlock kit
And a Tiger river water check valve in 2018

Anybody know what we might check?

Wow. I have to congratulate you on having a working (sort of) 25 year old tub. That thing was new when I started in this business! I haven't seen one of those in a decade or more, so forgive me if I am a bit rusty.

@castletonia, can you get some specs on this to refresh my (failing) memory?

@CanadianSpaTech, we might need to brainstorm on this one, buddy.

Post some pics of the equipment area and heater. I won't ask you to drop the control box yet, but it's going to happen before we are done so if you want to go ahead and do that it would help to have a pic of the control box contents as well. It sounds like you know how to do that if you replaced a relay before.

Off the top of my head I'd say faulty thermostat control, which is part of the circuit board iirc.

What are the ohm readings from? 

Trying to support the air injectors on top we replaced three-quarter inch tubing. 
1 was dripping, and full of water.  Tried re-clamping but some of the nipples were broken. Most we were able to reclamp, and supported them up....with a fork and Knife🤣 (evidently they used to be clamped up there to keep them above water level. Didn't see any evidence of clamps or other way to do it.) 1 is still dripping and full of water.
Just checked this morning, it is 102° and the dial still all the way off.🤔

Not what I expected from a 95 watkins. You said "dial" and I imagined something completely different. So your topside has a dial that engages the heater at a certain spot regardless of temp?

That thermistor chart should be good, but what is important is that both thermistors are within a few hundred ohms of each other. If they are not, replace BOTH. If the thermistors are good it's the topside or board. 

• Like 2

This morning was all the way down to 102. Turned the dial up to number seven. Seems like heat went on.

RD Spa Guy, you said   "thermistor chart should be good, but what is important is that both thermistors are within a few hundred ohms of each other. If they are not, replace BOTH. If the thermistors are good it's the topside or board. " top plug is 5.44 K. The bottom plug is 3.32 K, at 104° Isn't that 120 difference? Isn't that within the range?

If not the thermistors, what part of Topside or circuit board might be?...

•  

• 3 years later...