Hot Spring Envoy NXT Remote Water Damage

navman

My Hot Spring Enovy NXT Remote has water damage and does not respond to touchscreen actions, I have tried re-pairing and re-calibration.

How long does the warranty cover the remote / control panel?

Also if not covered by warranty what is the cheapest price I can purchase a replacement ?

Also are there any other options, such as an app to pair with spa (mine has bluetooth) so that I can control from my phone?

@castletonia, you're up lol.

Pretty sure the warranty is only good for a year on the remote, otherwise you're SOL in that regard.   The NXT series is actually the new Highlife tubs as of 2019, so pretty sure your remote is out of warranty by this point.

As far as I understand, your remote will need to have the same firmware as the control pack for the unit to work - buying online is a gamble because the firmware may not match.  I would call your local dealer and order a replacement through them.

But then again I may be mistaken and they are all interchangeable (I hope so, because that would certainly be cheaper than buying from my dealer if/when I drop and break my remote lol!)

Warranty is 5 years on the remote (1 year on battery).  If the remote has physical damage (it was dropped, hit, etc), then all bets are off if it would get covered.  A new remote will likely have newer software than the dock and control box which would require either your dealer to flash new software to the circuit board.  Not hard to do, but you would need to get the software from your dealer.

The remotes are not cheap if you have to purchase.  I believe in the $600 range.

If you already had Connextion installed with your hot tub, you could control from the app on your phone. 

6 hours ago, navman said:

Good to hear that warranty is for 5 years (my spa is close to 4 years old).

In regards to a warranty claim should this be made directly with Hot Spring or directly with my dealer?

Just call the dealer where you bought the tub - they are your point of contact for all warranty claims anyway so they would handle it regardless

• 2 months later...

I have got my touchscreen controller replaced  by my dealer through warranty, I had to pay a $75 call out fee, is this normal under warranty?

On top of all that when my dealer replaced the controller, whilst removing the front panel the Hot Spring Logo power lights stopped working, this part needs to be replaced (77291).

I have been advised that this is not covered under my warranty and I have to pay for this even though this happened during a warranty repair (i have proof).

My relationship with my dealer has broken down due to this, what are my options to get this part replaced,

34 minutes ago, navman said:

I had to pay a $75 call out fee, is this normal under warranty

Most manufacturers only pay the dealer/service provider for the part and time on site at a preset amount for the repair that is usually way under what it actually takes. The time spent to get to and from is not covered nor is extra time covered in most cases if the repair takes longer hence the trip fee. $75 is a pretty good price.

$75 is a pretty inexpensive service call fee.  I charge $99 after the first year within 30 miles of my store and then $1 per mile beyond.  As a dealer, this is necessary to cover costs of doing business and greatly reduces the unnecessary service calls due to things like low water level and dirty filter.

As for the logo light, if they broke it when they removed the door they should replace it.  It’s not that expensive, definitely not enough where I would let it cause a tense relationship with my customer.

• Like 2

Spoken like an ethical businessman. That's why we like you so much. 👍

Unfortunately not all of them are, I know from experience. And this might not go very far up the foodchain either. A Tech covering his butt? Maybe the Service manager covering for him? The scenarios for unethical behavior are endless. But they should acknowledge their mistake and correct it. I've lost money on a job or ten that way, as I'm sure the other distinguished members of the panel have as well. 😏 (At least I HOPE I'm not the only one...)

15 hours ago, navman said:

On top of all that when my dealer replaced the controller, whilst removing the front panel the Hot Spring Logo power lights stopped working, this part needs to be replaced (77291).

How are you certain the part needs to be replaced?

There is a wire going from the Status logo lighting to the main board.  There is a molex plug in the middle of the wire so technicians can remove the panel from the tub, disconnect the molex plug,  and then place the panel aside so they can service the tub.   Unless the technician was a brute and physically ripped the wires out (which is pretty hard since they give you a lot of slack in the line), I highly doubt your status light is broken.  

Instead, I bet the wire connecting the logo lights to the control board was never plugged back in when the technician re-installed the panel.   I bet all you need to do is pop off the front panel (carefully, natch) then find the loose wires and re-connect them, then install the panel back into place.    

The only other way I see a technician breaking the status light would be to plug in the molex plug backwards which would be pretty difficult given the molex plugs are formed with a keyslot to ensure they can only be plugged in one-way. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ratchett said:

There is a wire going from the Status logo lighting to the main board.  There is a molex plug in the middle of the wire so technicians can remove the panel from the tub, disconnect the molex plug,  and then place the panel aside so they can service the tub.   Unless the technician was a brute and physically ripped the wires out (which is pretty hard since they give you a lot of slack in the line), I highly doubt your status light is broken.  

Instead, I bet the wire connecting the logo lights to the control board was never plugged back in when the technician re-installed the panel.   I bet all you need to do is pop off the front panel (carefully, natch) then find the loose wires and re-connect them, then install the panel back into place.    

The only other way I see a technician breaking the status light would be to plug in the molex plug backwards which would be pretty difficult given the molex plugs are formed with a keyslot to ensure they can only be plugged in one-way. 

I've broken two on display models in the last 3 years.  The plug connector gets caught and I don't realize it and when I remove the door the wires get pulled off the actual light.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ratchett said:

Definitely it is broken, the dealer said so when he came over to fix a leak (after the controller fix) advised that a new part needs to be ordered.

The fallout happened over the fact that this part is only covered under a two year warranty and costs $100, the dealer wanted me to cover this cost even though it was working and broke under warranty work for which I paid a callout fee for a dealer that lived 3 miles away (dealer denied breaking it and refused to review footage of him breaking it)

How do I move forward, I will not be speaking with my local dealer again (there are others within 30 miles) can I get this replaced under warranty directly from Hotsprings citing the warranty work and camera footage of it not working after the tech left.

If ordering part directly how easy is this to fit?

On 8/11/2020 at 10:04 AM, navman said:

Definitely it is broken, the dealer said so when he came over to fix a leak (after the controller fix) advised that a new part needs to be ordered.

The fallout happened over the fact that this part is only covered under a two year warranty and costs $100, the dealer wanted me to cover this cost even though it was working and broke under warranty work for which I paid a callout fee for a dealer that lived 3 miles away (dealer denied breaking it and refused to review footage of him breaking it)

How do I move forward, I will not be speaking with my local dealer again (there are others within 30 miles) can I get this replaced under warranty directly from Hotsprings citing the warranty work and camera footage of it not working after the tech left.

If ordering part directly how easy is this to fit?

Contact Hot Spring customer service.  Have the serial number of your hot tub handy so they know which hot tub they are dealing with.  Unless you are wanting to install the part yourself, they will probably try to work things out with your dealer first and then if that fails they would send you out the part.

That entire logo light is attached to the door panel by a two sided tape.  It's kind of a pain to remove the old one because the tape is strong.  The ones I have done have I have broken the old light into multiple pieces.  If you have a flat head screwdriver and some patience it will come off, takes about 10 minutes to perform the actual repair.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
13 hours ago, Rapidroberto said:

I've been working on Spas for years Watkins/ Hot Springs products are low line junk. Stick with Balboa controls.

Wow. So helpful, on this 2 year dead thread. 

Let me ask you, since you're such a pro, how exactly do you replace an IQ pack with a balboa?

Waiting.

Still waiting.

Gonna be waiting a long time for that answer, aren't I? But then, you wouldn't know, would you?

• Like 2