CalSpa Windsor 852 - Water Issues

So confused. I read another website and it says its a complete replacement to bromine which I know is not true through learning on this forum. How do people get away with misleading information like this?

https://www.poolandspa.com/page835.htm#:~:text=The natural alternative to chlorine,safe and odor-free environment.&text=your water is percolated through,your spa to control bacteria.

First I have heard of it. I don't use bromine, or recommend it to my customers, and have not read the nature2 instructions in many years. Apparently the bromine can react with the silver and copper ions to form a compound which renders the ions ineffective. It is no different than spa frog, which sells a bromine/mineral dual floater. Nature2 website does not discuss it, and still advertises to reduce bromine usage by 50%. I would listen to the manufacturers recommendations. I guess it is a waste to buy nature2 under those circumstances.

Mineral purifiers used with mps is approved as a sanitizer with appropriate mps residual. But this is an expensive route and mps has it's own issues including very high ph.

Once bromine or bromide is added to the water you are using a bromine maintenance system, not dichlor/bleach, even though you add chlorine as an oxidizer for the bromide. Bromine/bromide cannot be removed from the water, it must be drained to convert to chlorine or mps system.

• Thanks 1

I know weird right. Ill keep away from minerals with the bromine then and utilize the ahhsome on drain and refills.

These are the granules I'm using to start the tub. Labelled as bromine granules but consist of -

Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate Dihydrate - which I assume is CYA + Chlorine to oxidize the below bromide

Sodium Bromide - for my bank to be activated by bleach.

Cheers

Screenshot_20200622-225402_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

8 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

From what I gather it is only a problem with high bromine levels so will be fine at the recommended .5ppm. Curious that nature2 says not to use bromine when spa frog sells a dual system. They both use the same silver and copper ions.

awfully odd mate. Ill keep it in mind for a later date when I understand that side better I think. I want to home in the bleach method and get rid of all those nasties. Ill do some further homework on minerals to see if it fits my bank lol

Cheers as always sir

They are a bit pricey, but for low chemical systems they are gold. The metals, from what I understand, also will penetrate the mucous layer of the biofilm bacteria and prevent its formation.

Ozone would to, but you can't really establish an effective ozone residual in a spa to get it into all of the pipes. Being introduced as a gas, it doesn't saturate the water but bubbles out. Some manufacturers have started using various devices to cause ozone saturation, but I don't know how effective they are.

Question again.

My TDS is at 605 and I've not stepped foot in the tub, could this be excess remains from the previous ahhsome, drain and refill?

Is it the fact my TDS pen is a cheap piece of crap? Should I get one of the HM Digital ones?

At fill the TDS is 255 from the tap.

15929036278283256043817681688127.jpg

Looking good after a week.

Slight decrease in TA.

Tds at 744ppm

Seem to be getting the slow dispenser dialled in nicely to save me having to add sodium hypochloride every day. A little on the high side at the moment for the setting and the bromine level so I'm reducing the setting on the dispenser to lower that.

Roll on the next drain and refill as i want to ahhsome the tub once more as I still think there is biofilm in this tub.

Cheers as always

Screenshot_20200705-101145_Pool Pal.jpg

15939403810371263255131045062905.jpg