Temperature Sensor Older Model / Tripping Reset

We got a Imperial Spa Hot Tub bought in 1993 from Builders Square. I know it’s old but well taken care of. Here is our issue. The reset keeps tripping because the water temperature is getting up to 117 degrees. I am told it could be the temperature sensor. On our model it looks like the sensor is glued into the housing. Is there a way to get this out? Or did we have to replace the temperature sensor housing unit and a new sensor? Any insight on this would be helpful thanks in advance. See photo’s.

Sparky

06922648-9E22-41A0-86F5-26F1408E3F86.jpeg

8786C317-1DC1-4F1A-B727-381291127AA9.jpeg

439F4D9E-6E97-46B9-BBE5-8371A5FE7304.jpeg

Post a pic of the control pack with the cover off/ open. I am not sure the sensor is the issue. Could be a stuck relay. Let me see what you've got in there.

Never seen a sensor glued in, but it may be caulked. Worst case is you break it getting it out, but you are replacing it anyway.

That is a tec-mark control and the problem is not the sensor, but the dial thermostat circuit board or a relay on the main circuit board. They are voltage specific, so you will need to determine the voltage or remove it and get the part number. There are 4 screws in the corners under the sticker that hold it in place. The sensor is built in and connot be replaced.

https://spacare.com/tecmarktopsidecontrols.aspx

Turn off power and unplug the heater, then test the heater relays (bottom 2 on right) for continuity between the metal tabs on the front of the relay. They should be open (not continuous). If they have continuity they are bad, but it is unlikely that both have failed. It is most likely the topside.

RD,

Thanks again for all you help and expertise. This repair is a little more than what I can do myself. I’ll have to call a local spa repair guy in our area and see what he says. I’ll let you know the outcome.

Thank You!

Sparky

No. These old pneumatic systems cannot be programmed and often contain a manual timer. This one likely has them preset at 2 hours twice daily. Could be a stuck relay, but more likely the thermostat in the topside board shorted or wet. This spa also has no timeout, so if left on high it will run until it overheats the pump motor or trips the manual high-limit switch, which is the reset mentioned. They trip at 118f, so the fact that the display showed 117 before it tripped verifies that both the sensor and hi-limit are ok. It may have a circuit board, but it is not "smart" like modern systems. Just a printed version of the old hardwired relays. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Spa Guru,

Thanks for all your help. We are back up and running. Took a while for the part the get shipped to us but we’re back up and running. Going on our 27th year.

I just want to say Thank you for your expertise and knowledge.

Sparky

02C64814-A2F4-469B-B404-1D14DFDD4C34.jpeg