Same old Same old... water gets green and blurry. I'm getting crazy!!

Gabriel

Hi all,

i'm new to this forum and as well on the hot tub spa world so please apologies any lack of knowledge!

I have a Wellis spa, not sure about the model but anyway it's a 2.1 mt x 2.1 mt , and have 3 seats inside (it should be 4000 ltr based on my calc).

I've done homeworks so 

• Filled up with water
  • Check the Chlorine and adjust it
  • Check the Alkalinity and adjust it
  • Set the Ph to the right level

My water strips tells me i'm all set!

The spa heat up to 36 degrees...

Well i take a shower, enjoy for a couple of hours. (i don't even put my head under the water to ensure my hairs are not messing with the water and avoid releasing stuff).

I go out and the water is perfectly bright!

I add the algaecide and remove the chlorine dispenser (the one that floats with the tablet inside, just to be clear).

I go to sleep.

Next morning the spa is green and the water is blurry. I cannot even see the bottom of the spa!

I also bought the water clarifier, no success as well.

Ok now what i do wrong!??!

Any help is more than welcome... it's the third time in 3 weeks i'm empty the spa and start again.

Thanks!! 

1 hour ago, RDspaguy said:

You should not use copper algaecide in a spa. I do not recommend tablet floaters in a spa. 

First of all thanks a lot for prompt reply, really appreciated. I bought the algaecide from amazon as it was the same brand of all the other products, so i thought that would have fit the purpose... too bad i was wrong. So the suggestion you're telling me is not to use at all an algaecide or just the copper one? 

Beside that can i please have 2 more min of your expertise to be sure on another thing?

I also have bought a foam remover : after the first usage the day after i saw the foam started surfacing.

Should i use it? If yes, is there anything i have to be aware in terms of order of chemicals? 

Last time (i'm for sure messed up a lot!) on the surface of the tub started creating a sort of white chalky sand... guess it's something related to combining chemical in wrong order!

Thanks again!

G.

Copper (green in solution) is a bad idea. To my knowledge, everything called algaecide is copper based. Mineral purifiers (silver ion, nature2, spa frog) contain copper and silver and will not have issues.

Defoamer is ok, but un-necessary if you do not bring foaming contaminants, such as detergent, fabric softener, lotion, hair conditioner, etc. into the spa to begin with. 

White chalky sand could be a number of things, but is usually the result of calcium coming out of solution due to high ph/ alkalinity.

Clarifiers are not needed with cartridge filters. They were designed to cause small particulates to clump together so a sand filter could trap them. Cartridge filters already filter those small particles, so clarifiers just clog them up.

You should cover your spa when not in use.

Test strips are not reliable, get a test kit. I recommend Taylor.

Any test with a high chlorine level will bleach out and be unreliable. Test ph, alkalinity, and calcium hardness before adding chlorine or shock.

Cyanuric acid is a component of granular chlorine (Dichlor) and tablets (trichlor) and will build up over time. Cya over 50ppm will bind your chlorine and make it unable to sanitize or oxidize your water.

Chemical manufacturers make a living selling you chemicals, and therefore recommend many unnecessary things. Read independent information on spa water chemistry, not what the manufacturers put out.