Found a rubber plug in my main drain

I was recently swimming in my pool and happened to notice a rubber plug in my main drain housing. I dove down to inspect and thought that was weird and removed the plug. I am a first time pool owner and the pool is about 30 years old and well maintained. I just moved in this past November. I opened the pool myself this year and am wondering if it’s common to plug the main drain for winterization. I live in Missouri. Or do I need to worry that there is a leak in this line and it was plugged by the previous owners. Or could the drain housing have two ports and I removed a plug that shouldn’t have been. Any help is appreciated. 

Mark C. 

It should not be plugged for winterization. I doubt there are two ports, but you should be able to see if there are. It probably has a leak and you will notice your water level dropping.

Can you post a pic of your equipment.

Where in Mo.? I am south of Rolla, east of Springfield.

• 2 weeks later...

It was certainly plugged for a good reason. Usually they leave those plugs when there is a leak on main drain pipe but previous owner didn't want to bother with fixing it,so he might have put the plug there and closed the valve at the equipment.

• 2 months later...