Coleman Saluspa really loud

Hey, so I have a barely 2 month old Coleman Saluspa.  It's the pretty common one that holds about 1000 L and has the external pod that holds the panel and mechanical like heater and pump, attaches via three screw down connections.  I know different models will have different volumes, but I used to have an mspa, and it didn't even come close to the level of noise from regular everyday operation with the heat and filter pump running.  I'm talking about lid closed, correct water level, no plugs or blocked pipes, aka everything seems fine.  Right out of the box from the first time it was on, it has been noticeably loud.  Enough that my neighbour complained to me asking me to turn it around because she could hear it.  I've taken decibel reading near the unit and average between 53-57dB constantly.  I've also found something about a similar unit and a noisy pump suggesting to disconnect it and blow the hose through the outlet for a while as a potential resolution, but no change after trying this.  It's possible this is normal, but I wanted to check and see what others think.  I've included a link to the audio recording I took of the tub running.  My main concern isn't that the noise is too much so much as I don't want to have a busted $700 tub that needs expensive repairs shortly after use just because I ignored a sign.  A major problem is that somehow the receipt disappeared, so the place of purchase is iffy about any kind of exchange or warranty, and the manufacturer won't even consider it without the original receipt.  Please listen and tell me your thoughts https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ssjVwQAL0sL1hh4ahSYA855RTn3nQjz_/view?usp=drivesdk

Screenshot_20200519-231823_Decibel X.jpg

salusparecording.mp3

Yeah that doesn't sound normal at all.  Don't know if that's a defective motor bearing or an electrical issue.  But it should be covered under warranty, contact the manufacturer let them hear that sound recording - if the tub is less than a year old it should be covered under warranty.   These are extremely low-end budget units built to last long enough for your money to clear their bank account, very little quality-control testing is done before these inflatable hottubs are shipped to the customer. 

Most spa technicians around these forums don't work on inflatable tubs, so you won't really find any technical help here tearing down and repairing that unit.  Of course having been on this forum for the past few months, some lurker will have the same issue in eight or nine years and find this thread in a google search then sign up and replies with "I'm having the same problem, did you find a fix?".   Hopefully you'll still be an active member and can reply with how you fixed your noisy pump 😄

As the old saying goes "buy cheap, buy twice", and that rings especially true in the hottub industry. Good luck with your tub, hope you can get things fixed. 

10 hours ago, ratchett said:

Yeah that doesn't sound normal at all.  Don't know if that's a defective motor bearing or an electrical issue.  But it should be covered under warranty, contact the manufacturer let them hear that sound recording - if the tub is less than a year old it should be covered under warranty.   These are extremely low-end budget units built to last long enough for your money to clear their bank account, very little quality-control testing is done before these inflatable hottubs are shipped to the customer. 

Most spa technicians around these forums don't work on inflatable tubs, so you won't really find any technical help here tearing down and repairing that unit.  Of course having been on this forum for the past few months, some lurker will have the same issue in eight or nine years and find this thread in a google search then sign up and replies with "I'm having the same problem, did you find a fix?".   Hopefully you'll still be an active member and can reply with how you fixed your noisy pump 😄

As the old saying goes "buy cheap, buy twice", and that rings especially true in the hottub industry. Good luck with your tub, hope you can get things fixed. 

Thank you very much for responding.  I will say that for the sound recording, I held my phone close to the inlet/outlets in between the external pod/control panel and the outside hot tub wall.  The sound you are hearing is accurate, but listening back to the recording, I think the recording position along with the acoustics made it sound a lot louder and more intense than one would hear if they were standing nearby.  I do realize that you pros probably rarely ever work on those kind of units, and although I am more than comfortable enough digging into mechanical and electric (retired plumber here), I could already see the manufacturer instantly declining any warranty or assistance on the basis of voiding coverage.  Even if that was just popping it open to have a look.  So I am more looking for confirmation that this is a problem, as well as any ideas about what it is or any possible fixes etc....My issue will be that I have heard the manufacturer for these is truly difficult and loves to reject claims or responsibility.  Although I still even have the box with all the packaging, they start the warranty based on the date of your purchase receipt, which I have inexplicably not found after 3 weeks of looking.  I am going to have to do some convincing me thinks.  A few things tested/observed (see pic for reference):  There is a top and bottom water connection between the pod and the shell.  I can see water flow in both, no sign of airlock.  When the noise is active, the bottom pipe if I put my hand on it I can feel vibration that isn't present on the top pipe despite being maybe 8" apart, and gripping the bottom pipe definitely dulls the sound.  So whatever function or connection there is on either side of that bottom pipe is the likely culprit.  Bubbles work fine.  sound is completely gone if heat/filter pump is turned off but tub is still running.  There is actually two filter units in the tub.  One just inside the wall right near the control pod, the other 90 degrees offset.  Tested the mechanism of both and it doesn't seem plugged or stuck, but the one that is offset (not right near the pod) is exponentially cleaner than the filter after the same period of time that is right near the pod and connections.  The one closest to the pod can be visibly discolored while the other one looks barely touched.  Coleman Saluspa

10 hours ago, XmasinVancouver said:

My issue will be that I have heard the manufacturer for these is truly difficult and loves to reject claims or responsibility. 

I guess the retailers selling the product are going to learn a hard lesson real fast in selling junk products to customers lol.

Unless you paid cash money for your hottub, you likely used a bank card with a VISA/Mastercard/Discover logo on it.  That means you're protected by those card services.   

Start by contacting the manufacturer - tell them your pump unit is not functioning correctly.  Ask for a repair or replacement. If/when they decline to repair the unit, contact the store you bought from and explain the situation,  ask for a refund/replacement on the hot tub.  When the store declines your refund, contact your bank.  Tell them the entire story and the fact that you were sold a lemon and you want your bank to open a dispute/"chargeback".   The seller will have 14 days to provide a legitimate explanation to the bank why you do not deserve a refund/replacement on a defective lemon product you bought two months ago, otherwise you automatically win the dispute by default and get your money back (plus you get to keep the defective product).  Source - I work with bank chargebacks on a monthly basis as a business owner  (with crooks trying to buy something and then get their money back after the item was shipped and before it's even delivered to them). 

Do not bother cracking open the pump. Do not bother fixing it until you have your money back in your pocket.  Do not let these scummy Chinese manufacturers steal your hard-earned money selling an inferior junk product.   These businesses do not deserve your money for selling a crap product and you as the customer need to send a message that you won't tolerate being sold a defective product. 

That's just my take as a vindictive SOB who loathes a scummy business selling an inferior defective product.  If you're a legitimate business you stand behind your product 100%, not full of half-assed excuses.  I don't care how they justify it - there is no excuse for a noisy defective pump on a two month old hottub. 

• Like 2