Is our spa TOO deep??

Hello!  We are building our very first in ground pool and spa and we have a concern regarding our spa depth.  I would love to hear from you regarding the dimensions of your in ground spa and what you would recommend the dimensions to be.  My husband is 6', I am 5'3", and we have two boys ages 9 & 11.  We really think that our spa dimensions seem WAY deeper than other spas we have seen, especially since we can't see over the coping! 

(1) What is the to total depth of your spa from ground to top of coping? (ours is set at 4' which seems sooo deep!)

(2) What is the depth of your seat to the top of the water? (ours is 21', which seems a bit deep?)

(3) What is the depth of your seat to the very top of the coping? (ours is 27.5", which means that even my tall husband can't put his arms on top of the coping.  My head doesn't even  come to the top of the coping!

(4) What is the depth from bottom to bench?  (ours is 21', which we aren't sure if that is right or not)

Thank you for your help and advice!

Erica Bell

42 inch water depth is the advantage of an inground spa, giving you a comfortable depth for your footwell, which is quite shallow in most portable spas. It is the 6 inches above water level to the coping that makes it seem too deep, but is necessitated by the fact that it is using inground pool skimmers, as any concrete spa does. To have less you would need a fiberglass shell with moulded skimmer using different parts not suited to concrete construction.

I have an above ground spa with an acrylic shell.  It sits on my patio.  From the outside ground pavers to the very top of the shell is 38"

From the top of the water to the deepest part of the inside of the spa is 31".

I have some seats that are a little deeper than others.  My deepest one is 23" from the seat to the current water line, and 29" from the top of the shell.  This is the number I get when I stand outside the tub and stick a tape measure in it and the current water line 6" down from the top of the shell.  If me and my wife get in it, we'll displace some water, so the water level probably rises a couple of inches, making it a couple inches deeper.

My other seats are around 20".

I am 6' and I prefer the deeper seat.  I can sit in it with shoulders submerged to keep me warm. My wife is 5' 5" and she typically sits in the shallower seats.  But we both move around.

It sounds like my seating is around as deep as your seat (you have a few inches to play with as long as you run within your skimmer's allotments.  Maybe you can install a tall skimmer to give you more ability to adjust the water level to your liking after the fact.

You can do the math to figure out that your footwells are a little deeper than mine.  My kids are 10 and 7.  I've had my hot tub longer than them and they've never had any complaints of it being too deep or too shallow.

I hope this helps you.