Suction Side Leak

ed3120

I’m a new pool (semi-above ground) owner and I have a suction side leak. After my pump turns off, water shoots out of my skimmer quite violently and dislodges the filter basket. I know I should find the leak, but some of my piping is buried. I have taken the wire off of the skimmer and my water level is halfway up the skimmer.

I don’t have a check valve between the skimmer and the pump. Should I have one? I was wondering if this would stop the back flow and allow the pressurized water to come out through the supply side and back through the inlet. That would stop my filter basket from moving.

Should I install a check valve or is this a bad idea? Again, I’m new...so if I’m being stupid, let me know.

I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that you have a suction leak. A suction leak pulls in air when pump is running, so your pump basket always has an air bubble and your filter fills with air.

Your pump builds pressure pushing into the filter. When it turns off that pressure releases back to the pool, as it has less resistance that way. If it is getting worse it is because your filter pressure is increasing and you need to service your filter.

11 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that you have a suction leak. A suction leak pulls in air when pump is running, so your pump basket always has an air bubble and your filter fills with air.

Your pump builds pressure pushing into the filter. When it turns off that pressure releases back to the pool, as it has less resistance that way. If it is getting worse it is because your filter pressure is increasing and you need to service your filter.

Thanks.  I'm getting a lot of air bubbles in the pump basket.  I'm also getting lots of air in the filter.  I keep opening the valve in the filter to release the air.  If I come back 30-60 minutes later, the filter is filled back with air and then I release it again.  I have a paper filter and the filter is clean.  I just cleaned it yesterday.

Does that sound like a suction leak?

Maybe. How old is the filter? Try removing it from the canister and run it, see if you still get air in the pump and canister. If not, replace the filter. If so, get a can of shaving cream and spray a layer around your pump connections, basket lid, and drain plugs and look for holes getting sucked out of the shaving cream. Post a pic of your equipment, pipes, and pool and we will figure it out. 

Thanks. I’ll try the shaving cream thing. My filter is after the pump. If the pump is filling with air, how can the filter be part of the problem? I’m not doubting...I’m just trying to understand how things work to better troubleshoot the problem. 

I took the paper cartridge out of the filter.  The system seems to push water better now, but I still see bubbles in my pump basket, and bubbles going through the clear tube between the pump and the filter.  It used to surge or pulse a little (not sure how to describe it), but it doesn't do that now that I've removed the filter.  The filter doesn't look that dirty.  It only has one season on it and I hosed it off with a garden hose before putting it in this year.

"It looks clean" is what I always hear before I replace a filter. A hose does not clean a filter any more than a squirt bottle cleans your socks. If it was stored without a chemical cleaning beforehand, or especially just left in the filter canister, you need a new filter. 

• 2 weeks later...