Arctic Spa (Eagle or Cub) and is SpaBoy worth it?

Hi Everyone

Im looking to buy my first hot tub and I’m considering the Arctic Spa Cub with is salt water with Spaboy and the Eagle which can have the Ozen salt system but I’d have to manually test and control.

The Eagle comes to $13,000 after tax and Cub is $18,000 after tax Canadian Dollars

Im wondering if the SpaBoy control is worth it and how difficult and tedious manually testing is? Just trying to figure out if it’s worth spending $5,000 more on a tub for the automatic SpaBoy

thanks

I have never heard of this system myself, but am not a fan of chlorine generators in general, especially in a spa.

I did notice in the warranty section they require use of their salt or you void the warranty. 

Ph and orp sensors in every other application require routine maintenance and frequent replacement. Failures can lead to potentially dangerous conditions.

Chlorine generators produce toxic and explosive gas and, in pools, are known to cause filters to explode from gas buildup with the failure of safety devices.

You still have to adjust ph manually, and since the chlorine produced is very high ph you will use more acid than with other systems or suffer scale, which can damage other equipment. Be prepared to spend more time on your maintenance.

In sounds like someone is trying to capitalize on the current popularity of chlorine generators in pools. It is, in my opinion, nothing more than a marketing ploy to increase sales. In my opinion, chlorine generators are all a marketing ploy. That's why they call them "salt systems", and many people buy them believing they are getting rid of chlorine, not electrically breaking apart a sodium chloride molecule into sodium (which stays forever in the water) and chlorine (which gasses off). The salt provides no sanitation by itself. This is not salt cured food, and your salt level is 1/10th that of sea water, which supports life just fine. 

But again, I have no knowledge of this system. It may be the best thing since sliced bread, as your salesman undoubtedly wants you to think.

• Like 1

All the spa boy really does is replace the test strips.,,but you still have to buy, understand and use test strips to check ph and alkalinity and sanitizer levels. 

You need to constantly clean the sensors for it to work as well

Onzen will increase ph over time so you need to keep a close eye on it. High ph and "salt" or sodium chloride will destroy a hot tub.

Here is a link to the Onzen manual. Try reading it and understanding it and then see if you want it:  http://splashottawa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Onzen-Manual.pdf

Give me a UV/Ozone system and a 10 minute once a week test and address method any day. JMO

• Like 1

Hey golfergirl 

Ive been where you are. This is my 2cw and only my opinion. What I have learned here is that a Spa is a wonderful thing but it dose take some work and it’s work that for me is worth it. Forget the strips...get a Taylor kit for bromine or chlorine depending on how you go. Look up Nitros method and look though chem geeks posts. I find that this has always worked for me the best. Yea the first month is hard as your learning but once you get it it becomes really easy. Just go slow and don’t add to much at once. I would love for there to be a magic mixer for spas or pools but I haven’t seen one yet and in the end I would hate to spend an extra 5000 on something that will still take me about the same time per week after I learn how to balance my spa. Anyways best of luck to you. If you learn how to deal with the water you will enjoy it all the more.....Oh and you won’t get the itchys.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You mentioned Arctic Cub.   I have an Arctic Yukon (same model as the Cub, but no lounger) ,  and had the salt generator system.     The cost of the cells PLUS Blue Falls cutting the warranty time on them,  had me shut off the Onzen and go to chemicals.

I likely don't use $100 (US) per year in chloronating  concentrate,   Ph booster,   Calcium booster,  etc.   and Spa Sentry on water changes,  and test strips.

Water is fine.    Ya gotta check the readings ANYWAY... and it's nothing to throw a capful of this or that in when it's necessary.

Of course,  it's almost always just the two of us and no bathing suits permitted at any time,  so that keeps the water clean.

• Like 1