High free chlorine not going down

Hi all

i have a lay z spa and “clear water” test strips.

Admittedly I was a little lazy at first with chemical maintenance, and was battling PH/alkalinity for a little while.

i did a chlorine shock, but ever since free chlorine is showing as dark purple (darker than the purple for 10PPM). I’ve left that for 2 weeks, and it’s never gone down. I’ve left it in the sun, topped up water and nothing has changed. It is still showing far too high.

Apart from redraining, what other options can I try?

thanks all

jamie

Inflatable? How much of what did you add?

Drain it. I would also recommend a test kit. Strips are notorious for going bad if you open the bottle on a humid day, stick a wet finger in, open it over your steaming spa, sneeze, or if a bird flies by heading southwest.

Non-chlorine shock also gives a false high chlorine reading.

• Like 1

Chlorine comes in many forms. What chlorine? Dichlor, liquid, cal-hypo?

Sodium dichlor is often listed as "spa shock" or "spa chlorinating granules" and is half cyanuric acid (stabilizer). Get your cya over 40 and you bind up your chlorine, so it never dissipates and is not available to sanitize. It just sits there reading high chlorine while your water turns green.

I suggest you do some reading on basic spa water chemistry.

just read the tub, and it’s Sodium Dichlor granules. To be honest, ever since this started I’ve read up heck of a lot, and spent this evening reading some great posts on  here. Rather annoyingly didn’t find this forum before, as I was searching for stuff and struggled to find anything!

Funnily enough the water is crystal clear, no scummy sides etc. I’ll drain it tomorrow. It’s been a couple of weeks, would a deep clean be advised now?

Not trying to be unkind....In fact I’m being very kind. Read up on how to use a Taylor kit. It will be the best investment you ever made. After awhile you will know your bather load and how much bleach to put in to keep it going till you can take a reading (not the best I know but better then nothing). I believe if you use a solid chlorine type you will add CYA and at some point you will have the same problem. I’m sure if I’m wrong someone will correct me...and thanks

• Like 1

Oooh yay bromine.  Haven't got time now but just read up on chlorine spas with granular dichlor.   Then put sodium bromide salts in and maintain just like the chlorine crowd

Don't get distracted by floaters or tablets or the texas  2 step method 😀

• Like 2