LA Spas HEET Temp Control Buttons Not Working

Hicks6

Hello,

I picked up a used LA Spas HEET model and I've just wired it in and fired it up. When you turn it on you are supposed to set the desired temp first thing. I am not able to set the temp up or down, but the spa is heating. I turned it on about 4pm yesterday and its heated up to 100 by 6am this morning. Also the jet 3 button doesn't seem to do anything. I'm not sure if I have a bad topside controller, or if there are other issues.

Post a pic of the circuit board if possible. Perhaps you can plug pump 3 in to pump 2 location to test pump 3. Also if you have and can work a multi meter you would want to test the fuses and power off the circuit board going to pump 3. 

Were you able to get the buttons working or are they still out. Post photo of topside as well so we know what we are working with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDspaguy said:

How did you try to prime it?

Can you post a pic of your circuit board and equipment area?

I primed it according to the user manual. I removed the handle of the jet valve on the top of the spa, and loosened the threaded piece until I heard air hissing out. That worked for jet 1, and jet 2 worked on its own. I"ll post some photos shortly. I appreciate the guidance. 

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Post a pic of the circuit board if possible. Perhaps you can plug pump 3 in to pump 2 location to test pump 3. Also if you have and can work a multi meter you would want to test the fuses and power off the circuit board going to pump 3. 

Were you able to get the buttons working or are they still out. Post photo of topside as well so we know what we are working with.

Here are some photos. I took your advice and I switched the P2 and P3 leads and when I did that P3 engaged, and P2 no longer engaged. So that tells me that the motors are all good, and the problem is not in the controller (though I still don't know why I cant change the temp). I checked all the fuses and they are all good. I have an electrical background, but not an electronic background if that makes sense. But with a little insight from knowledgeable people like you guys, I can usually figure this stuff out. 

IMG_7392.jpg

IMG_7394.jpg

IMG_7395.jpg

Ok. According to the chart, pump 3 is fused with pump 1, so it probably isn't a fuse. But check them anyway. Check for damage at the pump 3 plug, they are notorious for burned connectors. You can wire past it if you need. Also check voltage at the plug. If no voltage there, you have a bad relay or circuit on the board. Remove board and check the back for burns. You can probably bring it to an electronics guy to get it replaced much cheaper than a new board.

With the other issues with the topside the pump 3 button might be toast. Might have to check the wire connections where it plugs to the board. Make sure all the wires are all the way into the holder and making contact. Should be able to find a cheaper than factory generic Gecko topside if needed. 

• Like 1

Well, I checked my voltages on the board and the P3 terminal did not have power when I pushed the button. I removed the topside control and pulled the wire out, and there it was. a couple of wires were chewed right through. I cut some wire and spliced everything back together and checked her out. Everything works! Temp control and all three pumps. Thanks very much for all of the help. I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

Okay, now its been almost a week of perfect operation and all of a sudden the controller is stuck at 104 and none of the buttons work. I checked the wiring again and all looks good. The only thing that has changed is that I installed a new stereo unit to replace the old one that didn't work well. The wiring was like for like so I dont see how that could affect it. Do I just have a bad controller? I thought I was good to go once I spliced the wires and everything was working. I'm pretty bummed.

Ya, I figured that would be the case. Bummer, but oh well. I got the thing for free so I cant really complain. I may reach out to see if the controller I pick out will work, since I will probably look into another Gecko controller and they dont have the same shape as the LA Spas one.

Thanks for the insight! 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I just got the new controller in. I plugged it in and it works, with a couple of issues. One, which I don't mind too much about, is that the functions of the buttons do not match the label on the graphic. No big deal. However, there is no button that sets the temperature down. I can turn on all the jets, and the lights, and I can adjust the temp up, but I cannot set the temp down. Not sure what I can do about this.