Should I install a bypass for new pool heater

Hi, I'm in the process of installing a heat pump for our pool and would like your expert opinion on if it's worth installing a bypass.

We have an inground pool with a VS pump, solar heating and salt water.  We live in Eastern Ontario so typically use the pool from early/mid-May to early/mid October.  Since we have solar heating which does a good job in the summer, we likely will only use the heat pump for 3 months per year (first and last 1.5 months of the season maybe even less).  Is there any benefit in installing a bypass so that when we aren't using the heat pump, the salt water isn't flowing through the heater (although I guess if I'm not draining the heater, there would be salt water sitting in it while it's unused for 2 months).  I was also thinking it might be better if I need to service it but that's relatively minor (if I use flex pipe (which I probably will since I have some extra around), I can just disconnect the inlet and outlet from the heater and then make a suitable junction to connect them directly together)

What's the common practice?

Let us know. Thanks, 
Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Most heatpumps are titanium exchangers, those exchangers will outlast most other parts in the heatpump -stagnant saltwater or not. Your compressor will kill the machine long before the exchanger leaks.

That being said, if it's easy for you to install the bypass and you can drain (winterize) the heatpump for half the season, there's not much to lose by making the full bypass.

If you have the parts, I'd say do it.

Will

The Pool Company

Toronto

• Thanks 1