First time buyer looking for pricing advise (Arctic Spa)

MZac

Hello,

I've been researching hot tubs for about a month and was overwhelmed for quite a while. The most important things to me are jet power, good reliable dealer, and some cooling seats for my wife and kids. I'm located near Vancouver BC.

I've wet tested Masterspa, Beachcomber, and Arctic Spa.  Masterspa and Beachcomber left me underwhelmed with jet power (Masterspa had stronger jets by a bit). In my search I did come across Chris from Hot Tub University who is not a fan of Arctic Spa and I almost didn't wet test it because of that.

The Arctic Spa SDS seat blew the others out of the water. The single Orca foot jet was amongst the strongest jets I've ever experienced in any hot tub. My local arctic spa dealer has been great and reviewed very well (arctic takes a beating on reviews overall online but this dealer is 149/150 five star google reviews).

The reasons I haven't bought the arctic spa is the it is priced almost 25 percent higher than the Masterspa and I have to get an 8x8 foot model (Tundra) to get the Orca jet, which is bigger than the 7x7 foot I was after.

The quote on the Arctic Spa Custom Tundra (delivery, family lights, spa boy salt system, and tax included) : $20, 200 (Canadian)

I haven't negotiated on the price at all to this point. I'm ready to pull the trigger if we can get it closer to $15k. If I can't get the price down in that area I'm going to buy the 7x7 Michael Phelps Legend Masterspa, which I think I'd be overall quite happy with as well. 

What's a realistic walk away price for the Arctic Spa Tundra? I'm not understanding why they are so much more than the other hot tubs.

Just sent an Arctic to the dump wish I had of taken a few pics of what the inside of one looks like 12 years in. Mold everywhere. If you look inside an Arctic the foam floor has uneven peaks and valleys and if there has been a leak water pools in the valleys and goes stagnate, They have small flap doors that are suppose to open when there is a leak. However rock and gravel is usually pushed up against them and don't work as they should. The equipment in the spa is placed low on the floor and I can't count how many times I have seen pumps and heaters submerged in water. 

Beachcomber Spa...If the pump and pack are internal go for it if the pump and pack are under the step... no thanks. Can't open any side panels to repair so you have to stand them up to fix a plumbing leak and critters love living in the steps during winter...nice and warm. 

Master spa...only if you have a good dealer that has been in business for a long time.

JMO based on 25 years in the field. Regards

8 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Just sent an Arctic to the dump wish I had of taken a few pics of what the inside of one looks like 12 years in. Mold everywhere. If you look inside an Arctic the foam floor has uneven peaks and valleys and if there has been a leak water pools in the valleys and goes stagnate, They have small flap doors that are suppose to open when there is a leak. However rock and gravel is usually pushed up against them and don't work as they should. The equipment in the spa is placed low on the floor and I can't count how many times I have seen pumps and heaters submerged in water. 

Beachcomber Spa...If the pump and pack are internal go for it if the pump and pack are under the step... no thanks. Can't open any side panels to repair so you have to stand them up to fix a plumbing leak and critters love living in the steps during winter...nice and warm. 

Master spa...only if you have a good dealer that has been in business for a long time.

JMO based on 25 years in the field. Regards

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.  My hesitation with masterspa is definitely the local dealer, he is 40 minutes away and has been the least helpful of all the dealers I've visited. Leaves me lacking confidence in after sale support.  

Beachcomber dealer is great and very close.  My concern is the power of the Jets, very underwhelming. And this is my what I value most. 

Arctic spa has a great local dealer and the jets were really impressive. I have read all the lousy reviews about build quality and after purchase issues with this brand. Along with your post it's concerning.

It really leaves me questioning what the right decision is here. I would still love to know what a realistic price target would be for the Arctic spa?  

I've had an Arctic for around 10 years now.     

I did have a leak - but because it is not foam-packed it was easily fixed.  (pro)

I have the Forever Floor and the tub also sits on a PVC pad, so frost heaves /ground pushing up is NOT a problem (pro)

One of the pumps went after nine years.   OK - cost me ~$900 to replace it.     Also the FLO valve went ,  oh three years ago but that was $40 to replace it. (expected)

Onzen salt generating system - shut it off after six years.   Cells cost too much to replace and Arctic cut the warranty from one year to 30 days on the cells.   Now we're on chemicals.
Cheaper,  easier.  (con on the Onzen)

Had to refinish the outer cedar shell - did so last year (aestheically it's nice but it takes work)

Cover - had to replace the vinyl sheathing after nine years BUT - the innards/foam inserts were sealed and dry.   So their covers are superb.    Most covers need complete replacement after three-four years - not this one.

I have a great dealer - R&R in Littleton MA.

Would I buy another Arctic?   Yes.

They are more expensive - but IMHO - it might be worth it.   Only you can determine that,  of course

5 hours ago, north_of_boston said:

I've had an Arctic for around 10 years now.     

I did have a leak - but because it is not foam-packed it was easily fixed.  (pro)

I have the Forever Floor and the tub also sits on a PVC pad, so frost heaves /ground pushing up is NOT a problem (pro)

One of the pumps went after nine years.   OK - cost me ~$900 to replace it.     Also the FLO valve went ,  oh three years ago but that was $40 to replace it. (expected)

Onzen salt generating system - shut it off after six years.   Cells cost too much to replace and Arctic cut the warranty from one year to 30 days on the cells.   Now we're on chemicals.
Cheaper,  easier.  (con on the Onzen)

Had to refinish the outer cedar shell - did so last year (aestheically it's nice but it takes work)

Cover - had to replace the vinyl sheathing after nine years BUT - the innards/foam inserts were sealed and dry.   So their covers are superb.    Most covers need complete replacement after three-four years - not this one.

I have a great dealer - R&R in Littleton MA.

Would I buy another Arctic?   Yes.

They are more expensive - but IMHO - it might be worth it.   Only you can determine that,  of course

Thanks NOB. Great info and I'm definitely not opposed to paying more to get what I'm looking for. I would go composite over cedar and they push the Onzen system hard at Arctic Spa.

I get that some things will go over time and am not overly concerned about issues 5-15 years from now. It's nice to hear a 9 year positive experience with the brand. Most people that have good experiences don't post about it on the internet so it's great to read.

It's nice to hear a 9 year positive experience with the brand. I get that most people that have good experiences don't post about it on the internet but still great to read.