Hot Spring Caspian iq2020 Issues

noahv

Hi there - I'm trying to troubleshoot issue with my Hot Spring Caspian spa.  Here's some background and pictures:

1. Spa is 10+ years old, and has had circ pump replaced 3 years ago (with Liang) and iq2020 main circuit board (service tech said that it had a "short on the back").
  2. I had a slow leak from the back side of the spa, and decided to try the "Leisure Time Leak Seal" treatment.  According to directions, I removed main cannister filter, poured 1/3 of bottle into filter bay, and ran spa for 5 hours.
  3. When I went to check on tub at end of cycle, I saw the 2 flashing lights, which (according to my research here) typically means a high-temp cutoff due to lack of water circulation through heater.
  4. If I turn off/on power to the spa from the breakers, I can get the jets to run (on all speeds), but circ pump is not working, since there are no bubbles coming up from floor.
  5. I replaced circ pump with new Liang, but no change.
  6. When I pulled the cover off the iq2020, I can hear the relays click to start the circ pump, but that doesn't seem to work, and the lights start to flash again.
  7. When I look closer at the board (see third picture) I can see some sort of goo coming from yellow (battery?) in top center.  Doesn't look good to me, but I don't know what that is.

Any thoughts and troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.  I have a tech scheduled for Friday, but a) I'd like to figure this out myself, and b) I'd rather not pay $200+ for the service call.  :)

Thanks in advance!

Photo 1 - service panel (new circ pump at lower left)

IMG_8755.thumb.jpg.268cdc4c3fb73507ab05f37bd9fadbef.jpg

Photo 2 - iq2020 board

IMG_8754.thumb.jpg.96b20c2a5fde29260c640022c3f5a0b7.jpg

Photo 3 - goo

IMG_8756.thumb.jpg.dd5b5293d8a3bd725de3854543935a41.jpg 

I have a multimeter, and generally know how to use it.  However, would appreciate a refresher on how to best use that for this, since I see a lot of information in other threads re: DC / AC / Ohms, etc.

I am also concerned about the stop leak, but since the alternative was to pull the spa and truck to the service center ($1000+) I opted to try the $20 solution first...

5 hours ago, noahv said:

b) I'd rather not pay $200+ for the service call.  :)

Wow $200 where you located I'm moving there...unless it's MO 😈

Put meter on AC and test the white and black wires coming off the circuit board for the circ pump. Do you get power? 

Now I by no means fluent in Hotsprings Spa just not a lot of them here in Canada so perhaps someone named RD Guru can help here. I see that the black circ pump wire off the board goes to a connection and attaches and then jumpers over to another connection and goes to the circ pump...Why what how is this for and would jumping it perhaps help him out? Is it a pressure switch?

2 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

The orange goo could be an issue. 

RD quoted just to get his attention to this post. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this (since I still have a cold spa...)

Paid for the service call, where the tech's tested power to circ pump (said it was powered) and recommended swapping the new circ pump out ("because it must be defective").

I swapped out for another Liang, installed, and no circ pump activity.  Checked leads from iq2020 board to circ pump, and now no power?  Can I attach circ pump to leads for ozone generator (since both are same voltage)?  I know those leads are hot, and my ozone generator is not currently hooked up.

If not, am I looking at springing for a new iq2020 board?

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered the replacement fuse based on the link above, but apparently I need a 2A and not a 1/2A.  Both are BUSSMDA 240V SLOBLO but the bottom one is what I took out of the circuit board, and the top one is what I ordered.  Now to make a new order...

IMG_9263.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just to close this thread out - when I spoke with the board manufacturer about the fuse sizes, he said "oh, that fuse was mandated as part of our ability to ship to Canada, and isn't really needed."  He recommended removing the fuse from the circuit, rather than replacing, since there was another fuse that would take care of a short.  Seemed a bit odd, but it worked and I've had no problems since...  fwiw.

• Like 1