Hot tub dial set up

Dear Friends,

We moved into a house that has a whirlpool Z145 (I believe); that's the model number of the hot tub. It's an old unit, but it seems to work fine. This is the first year of use for us. 

I needed some guidance from you all. 

State: CA : USA

The hot tub has a dial for hot and cold settings with cold/ blue bars/markers till 12 O clock position and after that red markers / red zone. 

Now to my questions:

1/ I believe the hot tub needs to be tested for gfci every time we use it. Does that mean every day before we get into it? 

2/ should we leave the hot tub on at all times? 

3/ if we should leave it on at all times, what setting on the dial would I leave it at? (imagine a clock dial), so 9 pm (cold/blue) position or 12 (where red just begins) or 3 pm (red zone) 

4/ let's say if we don't want to use the spa for 4 or 5 days, do we just turn the dial completely low or still keep it at 12 O clock or higher position. 

5/ How may kwh additional spike could I expect from the spa usage? 

2 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

1: No, you do not need to test the gfci more than once a month.

2: Leave it on.

3: All the way up is 104*f, leave it at the temperature you want to use it at. Keep cover on when not in use.

4: See 3

5: Need more info. Is it plug in or hard wired? 

Thanks.

1) it is hard wired. the dial does not have temp marking / its not digital so may be I will put it somewhere near the read zone at desired temp. 

2) It has a fitted tarp cover for the Jacuzzi, no foam cover. I know I need to invest in a cover but since its so old, I am wondering if and when I upgrade I will buy a better cover as a set.

How many daily extra kwh can I expect?

Hard to say with no insulative cover. I don't see many like that. The heater is 5.5kw, so every hour it runs is 5.5kw-hours. Pump is probably around 1kw on low. So if it ran the heater and pump non-stop you can expect about 6.5 or 7kw per hour (controls use a little). Not sure of your rates, typical is 10 to 15 cents per kwH. 7kw x 24 hours x 10 cents is $16.80 per day. These are ballpark figures, but you get the idea. You will pay for a new cover in one month of use. Get a cover.

3 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Hard to say with no insulative cover. I don't see many like that. The heater is 5.5kw, so every hour it runs is 5.5kw-hours. Pump is probably around 1kw on low. So if it ran the heater and pump non-stop you can expect about 6.5 or 7kw per hour (controls use a little). Not sure of your rates, typical is 10 to 15 cents per kwH. 7kw x 24 hours x 10 cents is $16.80 per day. These are ballpark figures, but you get the idea. You will pay for a new cover in one month of use. Get a cover.

Not sure if I am using this correctly. I have been checking my meter for 3 days. And we usually use hot tub at Luke warm temp due to hot sunny days. 

It used about 120 kwh extra in 3 days. CA utility is about 0.3 dollar for tier 2. So this is about 30kwh*.3... So about 9 dollar a day. So 270 a month. 

Will a hot tub cover reduce that drastically. I am not even heating it much right now. Very like warm. 

If so what thickness cover and what websites sell them? The tub is outdoors. The tub has curves but the wood enclosure has no curve and is square.