New to me spa troubleshooting

Arehs9

Hey guys, I got a free hot tub from an old family friend. It went on the fritz with him about 6 months ago, but he is an old guy and didn't care to attempt to fix for how little he used it, so he drained it and offer it to me. I believe it is an '08 hot spring vanguard (?) 

The issues he was having from his memory was the second control panel stopped working, and then he said it stopped heating up.

I took a look inside, it looks like a little water was left in the heating element, froze and busted the plastic cap off. So I know it needs a new heater for sure. I was just wondering if it's best to go with the current heater or is it possible to change over to a Balboa system? We are thinking of extending our deck around it, so it would probably need a panel on the top side, but I'm not sure how that would play with the second control panel on it. Any advice/help would be great! Thank you! Below is some pictures (sorry it was before I cleaned out the inside, obviously some critters got in there)

http://imgur.com/a/0Xqp8o7

If there is even any concern the heater froze, plug those lines, fill the hot tub and see if it holds water.  If there is additional freeze damage this could spiral out of control pretty quick.  As for switching to Balboa controls, I'm sure it could be done, anything could be done, but I think if you are opening up a whole can of worms.  You need a new heater, spa pack, topside control panel and then you will have to retrofit everything which will include plumbing work for the heater plus nothing is going to fit as it should.

1 hour ago, castletonia said:

If there is even any concern the heater froze, plug those lines, fill the hot tub and see if it holds water.  If there is additional freeze damage this could spiral out of control pretty quick.  As for switching to Balboa controls, I'm sure it could be done, anything could be done, but I think if you are opening up a whole can of worms.  You need a new heater, spa pack, topside control panel and then you will have to retrofit everything which will include plumbing work for the heater plus nothing is going to fit as it should.

Yeah after I posted this, and went and looked at it some more, I realized that was a pretty dumb idea haha. The guy lost the screw on drain cap when he drained it. I might just screw a hose on and put the other end in the tub so that I can make sure there isn't anymore damage. Thanks for the idea to check. 

A balboa retrofit is possible, I have converted a few HS to balboa, but kinda pricey. Lets figure out what's going on with it first. Disconnect both hoses from the heater and hook them together with a 90* barb coupler, get a cap and gasket, and put some water in it.