Pool Leak Too

lah

Help! We live in Florida and our inground pool is 14 -15 years old. It needs to be re-marcinited. The problem is last week we noticed the pool water had gone down quite a bit. Unusual for this time of the year since the sun is not hot enough to evaporate the water. We filled it up Sunday and by Saturday (7 days) the water had gone down 2+ inches! Where did it go I have no clue! There is no water in the yard, around the pump, no where visible. I'm scared to think where it did go! Anyway, where do we begin? I appreciate the help.

Help! We live in Florida and our inground pool is 14 -15 years old. It needs to be re-marcinited. The problem is last week we noticed the pool water had gone down quite a bit. Unusual for this time of the year since the sun is not hot enough to evaporate the water. We filled it up Sunday and by Saturday (7 days) the water had gone down 2+ inches! Where did it go I have no clue! There is no water in the yard, around the pump, no where visible. I'm scared to think where it did go! Anyway, where do we begin? I appreciate the help.

most common leak in marcite (gunite, whatever you want to call it) is around any of the inlet fittings. pretty much anywhere where plastic meets cement. especially skimmer throats. light niches and conduits leak also.

I would shut the system down, plug the skimmers, returns, cleaner line, or any other plumbing that comes into the pool. including main drain, so you may have to dive.

If the pool still leaks, it's the throats, around return fittings, or the light. or in rare cases, a crack in the pool. even though your pool needs a new finish, the shell underneath what you see should hold water, even if the marbledust is shot. for a crack to leak, it has to be pretty deep, not those hairline ones you see.

If the pool holds and you don't see any puddles, time to call the man to pressure test.

you could also do the bucket test to rule out evaporation. fill a bucket and place in the water on a step so it stays in place. you can hang it from a rope too. fill the bucket so that the level inside is the same as the level outside, or very close. mark the pool with tape, mark the bucket also. after a day or two compare the water loss. if it's the same, it's evaporation, if it's not, you have a leak.

almost forgot the simplest one of all: water flowing out of the waste line due to a failed spider gasket in the multiport. only applies to filters that actually have multiports. while he filter is running, unscrew the sight glass and see if water shoots out. if you don't have a sight glass, you can drill a very small hole in the pipe as close to the bottom as you can get it.

if this is the problem, don't waste your time changing just the gasket. also get a new key assembly. comes with the handle, top, spring, etc... assembled. pop off the old one and install the new one in reverse.