Hot tub cover left off overnight. Cold night !! ??

Sister

Accidentally left hot tub cover off overnight. From 7pm to 9 am . Cold night in the 30;s . Hot tub was fine and still 104. Can this do damage???? Also, how much jump in electric can this cause?? It is someone else's house which is why I am wanting to know if it would be a huge jump in electric bill. I will tell them if so. 

Sister, 

You DO want to be careful ... you do not want water to evaporate below the filter / heater intake level -

I had a family member that had a hot tub - on a porch overlooking a New Hampshire lake.  In the dead of winter.

Some relatives used it,  and reported that the "cover blew away" - (translation,  a little too much booze and the cover DID blow away) ... and the water evaporated down to the low level - it froze - bye bye hot tub . 

But "cold night in the 30s" -- or -2C -- that's not really that cold - no harm but your electric bill?   The electric company and its stockholders thank you!

n-o-b