Pool Heater Recommendations - Must handle high Chlorine!

lordx

Hey all - my old pool heater (which was pretty old) finally had the chlorine eat through the copper. I run pretty high chlorine levels - I have an auto chlorinator. 

Is there a pool heater that anyone would recommend that can handle higher chlorine levels, or Ph our of balance if I am remiss in my pool duties?

If not, I guess I could have a 'bypass loop' put in so that water only goes through the heater when it is needed. Any thoughts on that?

Finally, I see new heaters that are called heater/pumps - what is the difference between those and what my old sta-rite heater likely was?

I think you mean "heat pump", which is an electric heater/ cooler.

Chlorine does not dissolve metals, ph does. Keep your water balanced and it will last forever, though 11 years is not bad for your average pool owner.

It doesn't much matter if you have a bypass unless you drain the heater when not in use. Flowing or stagnant, low ph will dissolve metal.

What kind of "auto-chlorinator" and where does it connect? Maybe post a pic?

• 3 months later...

Gas heaters are not what they used to be heat exchangers don't like hard water or bad pH or long run times for that matter.  That said on the west coast I've had the best luck with the original sta-rite heater not the pentair versioin.  And yes high chlorine shouldn't hurt your heater unless it's from a salt system.  IMO the largest heater your gas line can handle is the best way to go.