Slow Leak near 2-speed wet-end PVC -- Leisure Bay G2

bmbouter

I have a Leisure Bay G2 spa, and I've noticed some water leaking from the base when I power on the pumps. It comes from a specific spot so today I opened it up and here is what I found (see annotated pic and video).

While the 2-speed motor is running, I can see a drip-leak coming from the pvc junction above the wet-end. Additionally, there is a drip-leak from the wet-end itself, but I think this is likely from drip above flowing down the wet-end and dripping underneath it. I replaced this pulp in early 2018 and the new wet-end came with it so I'd be surprised if the wet-end itself was leaking, but what do you think? I added an image annotated with where the leaks I observed came from.

How do I fix this?

Just tighten the PVC?

Could the joint be too tight? As I remember it I used a strap wrench to do it last time?

Are there O-rings or anything inside of here?

Should I replace the union? What kind of parts would I buy?

IMG_20200425_144334.jpg

Well, the top arrow would be a bad glue joint, but everything else could just be an o-ring. How sure are you that it is leaking from the glue joint? My internet is bad out where I live so your video didn't really play, it took a minute and a half to watch your 14 second clip. 

My "guess":

The top leak/arrow indicates an imperfect glue job when that fitting was glued to the PVC pipe.

Assuming that the lower two arrow leaks are NOT from the above leak dripping down, those two are from the rubber seal of the threaded fitting.  Either tightening or replacement of the rubber seal should help that.

As to the upper leak: if you don't want to replace that, or can't, possibly when fully dry and the threaded part disconnected PVC cement could be applied to the area, and possibly seep down into the poorly-cemented region.

That is not likely to work, but runs a fair chance of glueing the union on, then to can buy a new pump too.

If you are going to attempt a band-aid, it needs to be inside the thoroughly sanded pipe, not outside with pressure behind it. PVC cement is meant to be between two surfaces, not slathered on like icing on a cake. Epoxy putty would be the material to use. But you will be fixing it again in a year or two, so just fix it right the first time and be done.

Looks to me that the o-ring started to fail so the union was tightened and caused the glue fitting above to rotate a bit and leak. With the amount of plumbing above that joint you are only going to get 1 shot at replacing the union and tail piece. You will need a 2" pump union https://www.vanislewater.com/Waterway-2-Half-Union-Pump-Assembly , a 2" line  coupler https://www.vanislewater.com/2-Pipe-Extension-Fitting-Spigot-x-Internal-Schedule-40-Pipe-PVC-Schedule-40 and some glue. Cut the plumbing as close to the top of the union tail piece as possible and dry fit before gluing. You may have to remove the pump to dry fit the new connections and put the pump back into place to make sure everything is going to fit in place.  

I am not sure there is room for a coupler. Could fit a drain fitting (the short coupler) but that's as high pressure as a fitting gets in that tub, so it's risky. A repair adapter would work, but then we are reducing inside diameter at the pump, which could make a noticeable difference in jet pressure.

Can you post a pic of the plumbing above that fitting?

Thank you to all the responses so far! Here is a correction from my original post; it is only leaking around the O-ring coupler, *not* from the PVC junction. See the new annotated photo for clarity. I've also included additional photos of the surrounding plumbing as asked.

Since it leaks only from the top and bottom of the union, is replacing the O-ring what I should do? Do I replace just the O-ring or do I have to replace the union? How much should I tighten the union by rotating it? Last time I used a strap wrench.

I don't mind the PVC work, but I can see how one junction could lead to another and another. I do want to do the job right, not a band-aid. Advice is appreciated! What do you think I should do?

IMG_20200426_190801_annotated.jpg

IMG_20200426_190244.jpg

IMG_20200426_185532.jpg

Yeah just slide in a new gasket or O-ring. I usually just slide in a 2" flat gasket and leave the old o-ring. A lot of times the gasket with the O-ring attached won't fit the groove on a pump union so on pumps I just use a 2" flat gasket and charge $100 cash and go for lunch.

Looking at the last photo it looks a little crooked and you might have a hard time getting the union to sit flat even when tight for a waterproof seal. In this case use a heat gun and warm the soft 2" plumbing a bit...then go for lunch

• Haha 1

You've got lunch on the brain, buddy. Maybe if you'd eat a healthy breakfast you could make it through a job without bailing early for lunch. I like biscuits and sausage gravy. Filling and good energy to get you through til lunchtime. 😁 

You got biscuits and gravy in Canada, right? Or is it all croissants with that ham you guys call bacon? That's false advertising right there. Canadian bacon my porkloin! It's oddly round ham! 

English muffins, Maple syrup for gravy and blood transfusions, No Sweet tea though. I use to drink Tim Horton's coffee in the am but found I had to pee in every backyard I went to

I googled... What is Missouri known for? all that came up was Tornadoes and Bud in that order the rest of the page was blank

• 1 month later...