Need advice on crack repair staples

gk_pool

I just purchased a home with a pool that has about 25-30ft worth of cracks. Different contractors have given bids ranging from 5K to 8K. The 8K contractor uses torque lock staples and with foam injection of the cracks. The others use epoxy/hydraulic concrete with rebar staples. One of the contractors that uses rebar is giving me a 1 year warranty on that crack not returning, but the others including the one that uses the Torque Lock will not give any warranty. What is the general advice on torque lock staples vs. rebar staples? Should I spend the extra 3K on the Torque Lock staples and foam injection over the rebar staples and epoxy/concrete?

thanks

Its a 15000 gallon choline pool w a spa on one end. Surface is 50% quartz plaster. There are two cracks. The larger/thicker crack (pictures attached) is along the floor in front of the spillway from the spa and goes up along the wall towards the polaris hookup and also to the bench next to the spa. The thinner crack is hard to see but also goes from the floor to the wall on the other end of the pool away from the spa. Thanks for your help.

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

yes, both will patch the plaster over the repair. i didn't want to replaster the whole pool at this time in case the cracks return soon after.

the company that is giving the one year warranty is going to open the crack w a diamond blade saw and drill to install the rebar staples, anchor crack w concrete and seal w hydraulic concrete on top of the rebar. they don't use foam.

The company using torque lock screws also injects foam in the cracks.

I guess my dilemma is that the torque lock staples seems conceptually better because they apply pressure to keep the edges of the crack from moving further apart, but I don't know if that is also more likely to cause the staples to slip. Also is it better to fill the crack with concrete or foam?

thanks for your help.

I have only done a handful of crack repairs and those were many years ago. I am not familiar with foam concrete repair. Are they talking about foam behind the crack, then seal with concrete or epoxy? I have filled gaps behind a crack with spray foam after dumping a bags worth of concrete down a hole, but the actual repair was rebar and cement. 

• 2 years later...
On 4/21/2020 at 12:28 PM, gk_pool said:

yes, both will patch the plaster over the repair. i didn't want to replaster the whole pool at this time in case the cracks return soon after.

the company that is giving the one year warranty is going to open the crack w a diamond blade saw and drill to install the rebar staples, anchor crack w concrete and seal w hydraulic concrete on top of the rebar. they don't use foam.

I guess my dilemma is that the torque lock staples seems conceptually better because they apply pressure to keep the edges of the crack from moving further apart, but I don't know if that is also more likely to cause the staples to slip. Also is it better to fill the crack with concrete or foam?

thanks for your help.

On 4/21/2020 at 12:28 PM, gk_pool said:

thanks for your help.

I am having a similar issue now. Curious what did you decide to do? And now that it’s been a couple years how are the results?