Mspa lite E1 error

On 8/8/2020 at 4:36 PM, PhilJ said:

Hi,

I had this same error code - E1. I read all the forums and changed the heat sensor. Filled the spa back up and still had the error code. I simply disconnected the 4 pin connector to the PCU control unit, cleaned it and made a good connection and the error went. Spa now working perfectly!

Hi Phil, can you elaborate on which part this is? ("the 4 pin connector to the PCU control unit")

I've had our control box apart multiple times, replaced the pump, still getting the error code.  Desperate to fix it.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I've been running into this problem for a while too. Tried everything, but nothing helped. But I may have found a solution and it seems to work for me now.

I noticed that the pump made a strange noise and when I removed the filter I noticed that a lot of air was coming out. It is possible that air got into the filter by turning on the bubbles. I suspected that the water pump was not working properly because there was air in it. And that this caused the E1 error.

As a test (which is not recommended by the manufacturer) I ran the spa for a while without a filter. And where I normally got an error message within 5 minutes, the spa now continued to work well for hours. Both filter and heating without error. Of course I put the filter back on, but not before I had removed all the air under the water. Even then the spa continued to work well. I did notice that some air was slowly coming between the filter and filter cover. It is possible that the pump is drawing air from somewhere. But so far no error message.

So for the desperate people with this problem, check if your filter is full of air. Make sure you shake it well underwater so that all the air goes out.

Good luck and I'm curious if this is a solution for others.

Update: also seems that the filter I had got clogged very quickly, even if i cleaned it properly.  Order some new filters and problem is gone! I think the new filter is an improved version of the old so this also could be a fix. These are the filters I ordered: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B08T9YM6MX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&language=en_GB 

• 1 month later...

I have now three complete boxes, and a total of 5 pumps not working. It seems like those motors/"pumps", Model:FP12-60, have a limited life length of 3-5 months. They seem to be OK, but stop a while after they started, causing E1 to appear. I have measured on them during operation, and in error they draw more current than the specified 5 amps. Then they get warm, and there is probably a heat-fuse that cuts the power while they cool off. The importer vaguely admits that the motor is destroyed by "overload". Most common overload is caused by hair entering through the defective filter construction ( the 6 enormous holes in front of the filter, and the faulty constructed openings between the filter and the filter fastening plug). Hair will wind up on the impeller in the motor and resist its rotation. I tried to block the openings in front of the filter with a piece of duckttape, and close the openings at the filter connections with rubber bands, but apparently this limited the water flow-through, causing overload  and error on the pump after a while. The only repair is putting in new motors/pumps each season.
If the mSpa is under warranty you should rather return it and get a refund.

• 3 months later...

I know nothing about hot tubes, but what I just got error code. I would reset and start and it would turn on for 10 seconds or so and bring up error code again. What I did was give a medium strength continuous tapping on motor side wall as I restarted filter and heater. I did it for about 30 second longer after starting things back up and so far so good. 

It is a little early to tell long term, but it's been running for an hour and still going. Maybe this gives someone who actually knows something about these what I might have shook loose by doing this

• 4 months later...
  1. I bought mine on April 26 2022 installed it in May worked fine till closed it in September opened it on May 6 2023 error 1 same problem as everybody I think mspa has a problem with their spa's would like an answer on how too fix it asap don't need that kind of faulty spa's in my life or you won't like my reviews