Chlorine 21 ppm ??

Good afternoon,

So I purchased a brand new spa. I filled it with water, turned it on and got it to temp. I've been working on perameters all day and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I am using Spa choice sanitizing granuals. Per the directions, for a newly setup spa, use 6 tsp for 500g. My spa holds 425g so I added 5.

I am using the Taylor k2006 test kit. I've tested multiple times using both 25 ml & 10. Tech time I am getting a result of 21 ppm. How can this be?

They have advised a high starting sanitizer to help oxidize the residual contaminants from the manufacturing and testing process. And it is a very good idea. You won't need it that high except on the first fill or after a period of disuse. Or maybe spill a bottle of wine, or some such.

If your spa has ozone, it should be down by tomorrow. Leave your cover open for a few hours to let the gasses escape. 

I hope you balanced your ph and alkalinity first, you will likely bleach out your test at that chlorine level and have to wait until it comes down some to get an accurate reading.