Spa Drops Overnight, Spa spills over in Spa Mode

Joe G

I have a spa attached to the pool at a higher level than the pool. Spa drops to level of the pool/to the level of the spa return outlets overnight. When in spa mode, the spa spills over into the pool (which it has never done) and one of the spa returns (which should be off in spa mode) is allowing a small amount of cold water into the spa. This cold water entry is not under much, if any pressure at all...you can stick your finger in and feel the cold water.  

I had the spa dropping issue for a month or so before the spillover issue joined in last week. 

I had a 12-year old spring check valve on the spa return side, and have replaced it with a swing-type. No change in dropping or spillover. 

Actuators operate as they should in both pool and spa modes, toggle switches in On 1 position.  

I tried to post pics, but couldn't? I will try again in a response to this post. I posted a pic of the return side. From left to right,  I have an actuated valve first, which diverts to either spa jets or to the pool return. Next valve in line is third from the right. It is manual, and diverts to one or the other of two sets of two returns.  The second valve from the left is manual, and it diverts to either a floor cleaning system which is always set to the off position, and the other to a pool in-floor "fountain" outlet which is plugged. So no water should be leaving there. The valve on the right is manual and diverts to either the spa fill/return or to a waterfall into the spa. I generally have that set 50 50. 

Also posted a pic of suction side with one actuated valve. 

I assume I have a problem in one of the return diverters. Correct? And if so, which of the four is the most likely suspect? 

Thank you for your help!

Joe

To clarify, the spa level drops when pump is not running, and the spa spills over normally when in pool mode as it should with water going to the waterfall and to the spa, and spills over when in spa mode when all the return and suction is supposed to be to and from the spa, and the two actuated valves are in their proper positions. 

Ok. The fact that it drains down when off but only to the jets suggests thet your return valve is not sealing. The fact that it overflows in spa mode suggests that your suction valve is not sealing. Here's the rub: if your suction valve is not sealing your spa should drain down to the sunction fittings, not stop at the returns. Leave it off for a whole day, see where it actually stops.

The automated valve on the return feeds the spa returns/ waterfall and the pool floor cleaner/ fountain on one side. What does the other side feed, going back by the pump? Is that your pool returns? I can only read "jets". That is a strange way to plumb that, with pool and spa returns downstream of the automated valve.

The spillover is more than a trickle, and less than the normal overflow when in pool mode. I'd say the spillover seems to be 60-70% of what it does in pool mode. 

I notice the cold water seeping...very little pressure, if any...when it is in spa mode with heater on.

14 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

The automated valve on the return feeds the spa returns/ waterfall and the pool floor cleaner/ fountain on one side. What does the other side feed, going back by the pump? Is that your pool returns? I can only read "jets". That is a strange way to plumb that, with pool and spa returns downstream of the automated valve.

OK, the pic with the sliver of the chlorine cell shows the system in pool mode, so all of the returns are going to the waterfall and to the spa return, 50 50. Those two are the only pool returns. They both end up in the spa, and then spill over into the pool. 

The valve near the chlorine cell rotates 45 degrees counterclockwise when in Spa mode, then all the return goes to the spa jets. 

The other actuated valve in the other pic is shown in pool mode, with all suction coming from the skimmer. When in spa mode it rotates 180 degrees, taking all the suction from the spa. 

Thanks,

Joe

So you have no return to the pool that does not go through the spa? And no way to maintain the pool separate from the spa? How do you keep your spa hot and your pool clean and sanitized at the same time?

Sorry, a bit off the subject. Just trying to figure out what's going on there. I would have plumbed that differently, for sure. 

It has to be a bad valve on the suction, that water is coming from somewhere. I am confused about the trickle of cold water from the... was it a jet or the return for the overflow? By then it should all be the same temp, having gone through the filter and heater.

Remove the actuator, cap, and stem and inspect for damage. Bad seals should not allow 60% flow from the closed side.

15 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Thanks, I'm in caps below>

So you have no return to the pool that does not go through the spa? THAT IS RIGHT. And no way to maintain the pool separate from the spa? How do you keep your spa hot and your pool clean and sanitized at the same time? I'M IN FLORIDA. WE NEVER "CLOSE" THE POOL. WE TURN THE SPA ON DURING THE WINTER FOR A FEW HOURS AND THEN TURN THE SPA OFF AND IT GOES INTO POOL MODE PER THE SCHEDULE. 

Sorry, a bit off the subject. Just trying to figure out what's going on there. I would have plumbed that differently, for sure. BASED ON MY NEIGHBORS' POOLS, THIS PLUMBING IS COMMON AROUND HERE. 

It has to be a bad valve on the suction, that water is coming from somewhere. I am confused about the trickle of cold water from the... was it a jet or the return for the overflow? By then it should all be the same temp, having gone through the filter and heater. IT WAS FROM THE "SPA RETURN" OUTLETS IN THE SPA. WARM CAME OUT THE JETS, AND THE COOL WAS JUST AROUND THE RETURN OUTLETS. THE SPILLOVER IS THE MAIN PROBLEM, BECAUSE IT'S HOT WATER LEVING THE SPA WHILE WE ARE IN IT! SO...LET'S NOT WORRY ABOUT THE COLD WATER AT THIS POINT; IT'S A MINOR AMOUNT WITH LITTLE/NO PRESSURE, AND COULD VERY WELL HAVE BEEN THE WATER THAT WAS IN THE RETURN PLUMBING WHEN WE SWITCHED TO SPA MODE. 

Remove the actuator, cap, and stem and inspect for damage. Bad seals should not allow 60% flow from the closed side. OK, I'LL START THERE. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP. I'LL REPORT BACK IN A COUPLE DAYS!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, parts finally arrived. 

On the spa overflow issue, I figured that it had to be a prob on the suction side,. The spa either got too much return or too little suction, and since it couldn't ever get more than 100% return, I decided to start with the suction side.

The actuated valve that diverts the suction from 100% pool to 100% spa was defective. The stem from the actuator was badly cracked. The actuator handle went all the way to the stop position, but the diverter stopped about 80% of the way, while the handle kept going till the stop, leaving the valve about 20% open.

One of the two gaskets on the diverter (that follow the inside of the valve body and close/open a port) was deformed and was encountering and getting hung up on a small raised "tit" on the inside of the valve body. That stopped the diverter while the actuator motor remained engaged and was twisting what was left of the diverter stem.

Sanded the tit down, installed new diverter, fixed the overflow issue and the spa level dropping issue. Thank you RD for your patience and help!

Joe