Gecko in.flow sensor no flow

Dave78

Hi, I have rotospa that has been giving me troubles.  It would intermittently stop pumping, and a few seconds later display FLO on the panel.  Unplug and plug back in resets it, and it would be good for a while.   Since the pump stopped first, I suspect it might be thermal in the motor so I replaced the whole pump.  Didnt fix it.

I pulled the heater assembly out to get a better look at the flow sensor, and this one has the in.flow sensor that I'm not sure how it works.  There 3 wires, and it just sits on the tube, with nothing in the stream.  I pulled it off,  and tried pulling some o ring grease between the sensor and the tube to get a better 'coupling'.  Since this it now doesnt work ar all. I'm tempted to get a new heater assembly but I'm not positive it's not the spa pack.  Anyone have any experience with these?

20200411_175342.jpg

Thanks for that link.  I've been thru that guide before.  Looking for some advice though.  

1. Of course the pump needs to be running to have flow.   However, does a low flow co edition shutoff the pump?  The guide lacks details.  Like I said, the pump runs for extended periods with no issues.  Then it will shutoff and a second or 2 later the FLO code appears.  But, is the pump stopping because of the low flow condition, or is the pump stopping causing the low flow?   

The reason I care is that the last 2 steps are replace the heater and replace the spa pack.  The sensor is probably worth about $5 but isnt sold separately.  I dont want to spend $200 on the heater if it's the spa pack causing the pump to shutoff.   

• 8 months later...

did anyone solve this?  im having identical issues.

note that the pump stops as there is no call to heat ( the flow sensor stopped the heat with the FLO status) and no call for filtering, or manual pump turned on.

what does the in.flow sensor do?  is it just simple pressure?  overheating or freezing of water can cause error in the sensor, but also do not want to spend $200 for a heater that works fine for the $15 pressure(?) switch.

3 hours ago, Speedcanuck said:

what does the in.flow sensor do

All-electronic dry-fire protection of in.xe's heat.wav heater. In.flo eliminates the burden of adjustments, calibrations and failures associated to usual water flow sensors. 

Try checking the inside of the heater tube for a build up of calcium or other debris inside the heater barrel under where the sensor sits. It is a non serviceable unit and has to come out one way or the other if you have gone through all the regular steps for a flow error like removing the filters and ensuring that the heater related pump is moving water and you in fact have proper water flow despite the error code.

• 2 months later...

Well this is the second time we have had the same problem.  Flo error and thus no heating. We could fool it by restarting the pool and putting it on full flow.

Was told the flow meter was unserviceable. so twice now replaced the whole heater unit at $365 NZD.

Well this time I pulled the unit apart, the flow meter is simply attached to the outside if the tube so its using some sort of impedance to measure the flow.

It easily comes off and unplugs so why is it not a replaceable part??

Are we being ripped off here??

Cheers all. 

Paul

On 12/15/2020 at 2:55 PM, Speedcanuck said:

did anyone solve this?  im having identical issues.

note that the pump stops as there is no call to heat ( the flow sensor stopped the heat with the FLO status) and no call for filtering, or manual pump turned on.

what does the in.flow sensor do?  is it just simple pressure?  overheating or freezing of water can cause error in the sensor, but also do not want to spend $200 for a heater that works fine for the $15 pressure(?) switch.

Well thought I'd follow up on this, better late than never.  So the pump was shutting off after a period of time, and the FLO error was the result of this.  

I opened the spa pack and was lucky enough to see some overheating damage one of the cube relays.   There's a 2nd identical relay that is used for 2 pump spas, so I took it off and replaced the melted one and that solved my problem.  Needed to be handy with a solder iron but not overly difficult 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/20/2021 at 11:37 PM, Happaulo said:

Well this is the second time we have had the same problem.  Flo error and thus no heating. We could fool it by restarting the pool and putting it on full flow.

Was told the flow meter was unserviceable. so twice now replaced the whole heater unit at $365 NZD.

Well this time I pulled the unit apart, the flow meter is simply attached to the outside if the tube so its using some sort of impedance to measure the flow.

It easily comes off and unplugs so why is it not a replaceable part??

Are we being ripped off here??

Cheers all. 

Paul

It's a simple Darlington transistor. Easily replaced if needed. Costs next to nothing.