Which Relay for Pump To Replace - Balboa

kriphead

With you on all of this - thanks 

fyi - i also spoke with several spa controller sellers many of which just said swap it out for a United Spa controller. Come to find out retro fitting with something other than the original is not an option without a lot of rework. Balboa use a low pressure side of the pump flow sensor to sense flow which triggers other functions like heating. Other systems use a high pressure side of the pump switch, so that would have to be installed. You only  get to find this out after you install it..... and it doesn't work.

Things you come to learn but shouldn't have to as a hot tub owner, eh?

Relax in the soothing waters of your new hot tub, they said. lol.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

I am having a hard time figuring out which relay controls the heater. Measuring for AC volt I have 0 volt out from the board to the heater. I have set the controller in a way that heating should start. Controller temp sat to 38’C, water temp is 15’C.
I think it must be one of the small relays, but Im not sure. I think its K6 and K7 but cant find any references on internet.

When the spa is on, I measure 12Vdc for the coil on both relays. So in my opinion both relays should be energised and close the contact. Only K7 is closed while K6 is open. When I turn the power of and measure across the contacts, both are open.

Anybody know which relay is which?

Sorry for my bad english😳

regards

Bjørn😊

9 hours ago, Bjørn said:

Hi guys.

I am having a hard time figuring out which relay controls the heater. Measuring for AC volt I have 0 volt out from the board to the heater. I have set the controller in a way that heating should start. Controller temp sat to 38’C, water temp is 15’C.
I think it must be one of the small relays, but Im not sure. I think its K6 and K7 but cant find any references on internet.

When the spa is on, I measure 12Vdc for the coil on both relays. So in my opinion both relays should be energised and close the contact. Only K7 is closed while K6 is open. When I turn the power of and measure across the contacts, both are open.

Anybody know which relay is which?

Sorry for my bad english😳

regards

Bjørn😊

You should start your own thread. Describe the problem you are having and post pics of your circuit board and equipment area.

There are 3 relays that control the heater in that system, 2 are always closed unless an overheat is detected, and the third is thermostat control. The thermostat relay is the one that fails.

• 8 months later...

I have the balboa bp1500 board also. I came here trying to find out which relay to replace... My issue is the opposite though.  My issue is that the Low flow started intermittently working and now doesn't at all. Voltmeter test at the pump reads no voltage when the pump should be running, so I'm thinking relay. The 'jet' diode turns on but nothing happens.  

Am I reading this right that the smaller K4 relay may also be my issue?  Thanks in advance! Dave

• 7 months later...