Help switching to bromine

Hello there, 

I wonder if any of you can help me. I've recently had a cedar hot tub installed, along with a sand pump and chlorinator. I was advised to use bromine tablets, but I couldn't find any at the time and bought Chlorine tablets. The tub has been in operation for a month, and when I cleaned it out, there was like a white residue on the walls that I couldn't clear off. I spoke to the manufacturer, that said that it's the chlorine attacking the wood and I need to change to bromine asap. 

However, my research shows that to change from chlorine tablets to bromine I'd have to have a new chlorinator / automatic feeder installed? Surely this can't be right? Would it not suffice if I wait till all chlorine tablets are dissolved, then rinse the chlorinator before adding the bromine tabs? 

Hopefully someone on here will know or at least point me in the right direction! 

Thank you

Ellie

The risk is chlorine residue inside the feeder reacting with the bromine, which, it seems, can produce a possibly dangerous chemical reaction. I have never heard of anyone ever having this problem, nor am I clear on what the "dangerous" reaction might be. But it seems to be a universal industry standard, not just an effort to sell more feeders. Given the fact that you have already caused chemical damage to your tub, I would not risk whatever may occur. This is wood, after all, and not exactly chemically inert.