Pump won't go on low speed, high only

Razzle

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have a Beachcomber Hot Tub with the SST-10 spa pack (Balboa VS500z control board) I've just replaced my control board , matched up wiring and dip settings according to my previous board and I cannot get the low speed of my pump to kick in which is triggering a "dr" error when the unit wants to circulate water. The pump is operating on high speed no problem, I cannot figure out what the heck is going on, I've tried making a few adjustments on the dip switches which just end up making the pump not respond at all. Any suggestions??

Are you certain you wired it correctly when you replaced the board? 

There are 2 dipswitches in combination that determine heater and pump behavior. If your system thinks it has a circulation pump it will not engage the main pump for heating.

Make sure it is set up for the right topside controller, as those packs have options. Not sure if that could cause this or not, but worth a look.

Where did you get the board? Is it oem or aftermarket? Aftermarket boards can have different dipswitch arrangements and sometimes topside controller button layouts. Bad parts can and do go out for sale, and some people sell used or damaged parts online.

Thanks for the response!

I've gone over all the wiring back and forth repeatedly to ensure everything is as it should be.

The board is the OEM replacement for the one I had.

For the dip switches the configuration copied from the old board had "Mini Panel - ON", "Two-Speed Pump 1 - ON" and "Standard Mode Only - ON"

When running in this configuration the pump runs only on one speed and i get the "dr" error when the unit tries to heat and circulate

I then tried running with an additional dip switch for "24 Hour Circ Pump with 3degF shut off - ON", this actually allowed me to run both speeds as it should have before but when it tried to heat and circulate again I get the dreaded "dr" error code again.

I've tried replacing the sensors on the heater, I'm ready to drain the tub and ensure my slice valves are opening properly as I'm truly at my wits end but I really don't think this is the issue as when I removed both the sensors the heater tube was filled to the top. I just bought the filter so I can't see that being the issue either. I bleed the pump , the piping before the pump , all air seems to be out and when I press the "massage" button I get full pressure out of the jets...

Dipswitch 1 off (down)

DS 2 on (up)

DS 3 on, topside is oval, screen on left with 4 buttons.

DS 4 off

DS 5 off

DS 6 off

DS 7 on

DS 8 off

DS 9 off

DS 10 depends on main breaker rating

Reset persistent memory. Power off, move jumper j43 on both pins, power on until "pr" on display. Power off. Jumper j43 back on 1 pin, power on.

It is not a sensor issue, or an air lock. If your pump ran correctly with DS 9 on, then it is not your pump wiring. 

Leaning toward circuit board. Again, new does not always mean good.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of response, the hot tub ended up working for the last month ,  and I wish i knew how because i turned off the power to clean my filter turned it back on and it's back to doing the exact same thing.

https://ibb.co/LZPcsTR
https://ibb.co/WxfF4pF

Here are a couple photos , one shows the board the other shows the dip switches. Nothing was changed on the board since I turned off the power and put it back on. 

This things driving me nuts as it doesn't make any sense.  

Looking at the photos it looks to be set up correctly.

I can see copper wire on the red (Hot) main incoming power line please check to ensure it is all the way in and tight. Re check the 3 other connections as well and make sure they are all the way in and tight

Check that the wires on the male end of the pump wire (white connector) are also all the way in and making full contact with the female connector coming off the circuit board and not loose and getting pushed out a little when you make the connection. Test the back of that male connector when the topside pump button is pushed in both low speed and high speed modes and verify power coming off the board in both speeds. If you have correct power coming off the board at the back of the male fitting then you have to move to the back of the pump. If there is not correct voltage remove the male connector and test at the female connection coming off the circuit board. 

Let us know results

So i snugged up the main incoming power lines , no change. 

I checked the white connector , everything seems snug there, making full contact. Testing the back of the male connector gets me 180-190V on all 3 wires - pressing the button doesn't change this. The touchpad doesn't seem to give the option for hi/low speed at this point it's on/off . 

Another interesting thing i've noticed is i'm no longer getting a dr error code, if i look at the temperature on the control panel it reads the set point temperature (102) , if i turn the jets on that temperature drops down to it's actual temperature (91) if i stop the jets i can hear the heater kick on and the temperature increases to 102 and it stops , no circulation comes on though and no error comes up. so its reading the temperature within the element tube saying yup that's ok and shuts off without ever turning the circulation on.

Just flipped on dipswitch 9 did a reset  and I get functionality of Circ/High speed/Off . so pump works , touch panel works but this still won't get the heater element relay to tell the circ mode to turn on. Turned dipswitch 9 back off , reset board , start it up after 4 minute prime , high speed kicks on automatically runs for about 30 seconds shuts off reads temperature and a few seconds later HL error came up and went back to displaying temperature - jets button gives me High Speed/Off no low speed

I have similar board in front of me that has A2 up and A3 up rest down. Don't remember what manufacturer it came out of though or what balboa serial number it is but the board layout is exact same.

What topside do you have. Post photo please

FYI when it gets to PR just press temp up/down and it should start in low speed right away so you don't have to wait the 4 mins

On 3/9/2020 at 11:10 AM, RDspaguy said:

Dipswitch 1 off (down)

DS 2 on (up)

DS 4 off

DS 5 off

DS 6 off

DS 7 on

DS 8 off

DS 9 off

Reset persistent memory. Power off, move jumper j43 on both pins, power on until "pr" on display. Power off. Jumper j43 back on 1 pin, power on.

It is not a sensor issue, or an air lock. If your pump ran correctly with DS 9 on, then it is not your pump wiring. 

Try it this way.

10 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Try it this way.

Ok , just did this , off the bat low speed is kicked on. Button configuration is mixed up - temp down is third button temp up is fourth button, first button engages high speed jets and second button now does the light. I'll leave it be for awhile , see if it gets to temp , I can deal with mixed up buttons if this works lol 

On 3/9/2020 at 12:10 PM, RDspaguy said:

Dipswitch 1 off (down)

DS 2 on (up)

DS 4 off

DS 5 off

DS 6 off

DS 7 on

DS 8 off

DS 9 off

Did you do a memory reset as directed by RD a month ago and now had to do a memory reset again for the second time after powering down and restarting?

Slow golf clap...Good job RD

I did the memory reset several times today prior to that, the different step was turning off DS5 and turning on DS7 . Which is odd because like I said we've been using the hot tub for the last month no issue until a power reset today and DS5 OFF is for 1spd pump and DS7 ON is STD mode only according to the manual

• 1 year later...

Had the same issue... Installed pump, only turned on dip switch for 1 speed main pump. It assumes your circ pump is the low speed, and main is the high. Turned off, flipped 2nd dip switch for circ pump, had both speeds, but got HL when heat was called for....got annoyed, put it back to no pump. Read this thread, shut down, set switches correctly, reset memory, off it goes. 24 hr circ, low speed main on heat cycle. Thanks fellas.