I'm out of ideas and need your expert advice

Hot tubthumping

I have a hot tub problem that I can't figure out how to solve. The tub is a Jacuzzi 365 (2011 model)

A few weeks ago I noticed the cover had a hole so I replaced it. When the new cover came I did a system flush which I do a couple times a year. Then I drained/refilled the tub and added chemicals. We tried the tub the next day and immediately felt itchy, despite the fact that the chlorine, PH, etc levels were normal. I did notice a small amount of soapy bubbles so I assumed that there was some chemical residue from the system flush. So I did the only thing I could think of - I drained the tub again.

This time I cleaned it by hand, replaced the filters, replaced my mineral sanitizer and used an inline hose filter to refill the tub in case there was a source water issue. Again I balanced the chemicals and the water looked perfect. But when I got in, within minutes my skin was itching like crazy and I had to get out. I got a more advanced testing kit than the strips and according to it, the water is fine. This has never happened before and the only thing I can come up with is that the new cover introduced some type of bacteria or something - but even that's a bit of a stretch, since the spa chemicals should kill anything like that.

I've called the company who sold me the cover as well as the cover manufacturer and neither has any idea what could be causing this. I'm open to any and all ideas. Thanks in advance for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

In 25 years in the spa repair business I have never heard of an issue like this resulting from a cover. Itching is usually chemistry related. Foam in your spa is never good, and a spa flush is some pretty nasty stuff. I personally don't use it. But your residual should be minimal after two water changes. What was your chlorine level? Does your spa have ozone?