Gel Coat Issues Barrier Reef Pools

Linda McGrath

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here to!!
installed 2017 

poor gel coat, shell faded to white/grey above water line. The pool looks 20 years old.
head office keep making excuses for it including “caused by the sun”, like is a fibreglass pool for indoor use only?

Is there a class action group?

Who have you contacted (other than BR direct that are not interested in their faulty product) to take proceedings further to make BR liable for their faulty goods. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have the same issue.

BRP Pool was installed November 2016, it is completely faded. I have had regular tests (not spot on monthly) and they have told me all different stories for the possible cause including lack of cross ventilation, being in the sun and also informed me to drop the water to the safety ledge and buff and polish like a car every 6-12mths. They then told me it was Acid or chlorine burn. Independent Inspector has BRP franchise. I am Located Newcastle NSW. 

Being they told me it was my fault, i contacted my insurance company and have had engineers and pool experts who are confirming it is a manufacturing fault.

This has all been going on for 4 or so years now and I am so exhausted with it all.

Is there anyone that can assist?

I have heard through my insurance company that BRP have barristers and are fighting all claims and that for the cost of repair it wouldn't be worth the exercise? It is for pools built around 2016/2017.

At very least, I hope this might help someone else.

Regards,

early days.png

Feb 23 1.jpg

Feb 23 2.jpg

On 3/15/2023 at 1:50 PM, BJT said:

Hi,

I have the same issue.

BRP Pool was installed November 2016, it is completely faded. I have had regular tests (not spot on monthly) and they have told me all different stories for the possible cause including lack of cross ventilation, being in the sun and also informed me to drop the water to the safety ledge and buff and polish like a car every 6-12mths. They then told me it was Acid or chlorine burn. Independent Inspector has BRP franchise. I am Located Newcastle NSW. 

Being they told me it was my fault, i contacted my insurance company and have had engineers and pool experts who are confirming it is a manufacturing fault.

This has all been going on for 4 or so years now and I am so exhausted with it all.

Is there anyone that can assist?

I have heard through my insurance company that BRP have barristers and are fighting all claims and that for the cost of repair it wouldn't be worth the exercise? It is for pools built around 2016/2017.

At very least, I hope this might help someone else.

Regards,

early days.png

Feb 23 1.jpg

Feb 23 2.jpg

I have exactly the same issue with Barrier Reef Newcastle. I am getting independent reports written up and will submit them to Barrier Reef asking for action. If they refuse, I'll be submitting an NCAT claim with the quote for repairs. My plan is have NCAT rule for them to pay for the issue and have an independent resurfacer repair the damage. I'm currently getting quotes. 

On 8/24/2021 at 11:00 PM, Steve Tillery said:

Let's all help each other. Looks like some of you have given up. I will lead this parade in getting justice. I took the first step SUED them! Come on need feed back , and more info on your problems. We can get together and file another joint venture in the name of justice.

Steve

I'll be filing an NCAT claim. 

Hi 

We are in Brisbane.Pool is only 4 1/2 years old and gelcoat is degrading above waterline nowhere near the water and they are trying to tell me my water chemistry has caused it and don't want to know about it. Is anyone involved in a class action. I want them to take responsibility for their faulty product.

IMG-20230129-WA0001.jpg

Let's all help each other. Looks like some of you have given up. I will lead this parade in getting justice. I took the first step SUED them! Come on need feed back , and more info on your problems. We can get together and file another joint venture in the name of justice.

Steve

Steve

Hi Steve 

Are you in Australia 

On 3/18/2023 at 9:54 PM, Todd C said:

Hi 

We are in Brisbane.Pool is only 4 1/2 years old and gelcoat is degrading above waterline nowhere near the water and they are trying to tell me my water chemistry has caused it and don't want to know about it. Is anyone involved in a class action. I want them to take responsibility for their faulty product.

IMG-20230129-WA0001.jpg

I have the same issue. Approx 4 years old and the coating is disgusting. Barrier Reef refuses to discuss it and says it's due to poor water quality. I am getting some independent reports done to show that it is a faulty coating and nothing to do with water balance. Once I have this I will submit an NCAT claim against Barrier Reef and seek to have them pay for resurfacing by an independent company. 

• 3 weeks later...

Same issues here from 2017 in Nth QLD. Issues danced around by the installer.

My wife and I had a response from BRP which is designed to intimidate with the option for the pool to be testing at QLD UNI and a possible $3000 bill if it's "found" to be the clients fault. I'm looking at getting it done and we could use the results. Tested in accordance with the schedule but I have lost most of my reports. The testing business and pool service guy have my records but cannot print due to a system upgrades. Apparently that isn't good enough, even if they can provide the testing results. Electronic reports aren't the original or equivalent.

More than happy to jump in on a class action. 

inbound8410747060227470779.jpg

inbound6471587717338407093.jpg

inbound6218860205536826342.jpg