Sand in bottom of Pool

Dave C

Past summer we noticed sand in the bottom of our pool. The sand is settling near the water outlet supply coming out of our Hayward S-244T Sand Filter. 

Our filter was due for a sand change (been a couple years) so I changed it .   After I removed the sand and examined the vertical pipe and Laterals I noticed the top and bottom of the plate (sorry if I don't have the correct name for these) that hold the Laterals have a gap of about 1/16 to 1/8 at 5 locations.  However there are 5 other locations (where there are 5 screws holding the plates together) along mating surface of the 2 plates where there is no gap.

Is it normal for these 2 plates to have gaps along the mating surface?  Will a 1/16 to 1/8 gap allow sand to get into the pool?

If this is not normal do I have to replace the entire Lateral Assembly (which is about $67 best case) or does anyone sell just the plates and vertical pipe?

Thanks for any input or advice.

Dave

Hey Dave,

You should not have sand in the pool in that area it generally is a indication of broken or bad laterals in the filter. It has been a while sense I have looked in a Hayward sand filter but parts catalog from them says that is a threaded lateral. #sx240dpak10

I do not think there is suppose to be holes there. 

Pool sand size #20 silica sand; 0.45-0.55 mm granules. So yes it will find a way to get out. 

#sx244da I think is the complete set with pipe.

Hope it helps

Splashman,

Thanks for this info--your response is very helpful.  I will buy a new Lateral Assembly SX244DA.

This is probably a dumb question but I will ask anyhow:  does water flow down through the center pipe and get pushed out through the Laterals, or is the water sucked up the center pipe and pulled through the Laterals?

Thanks again,

Dave

Before you buy just double check your model with what I gave you. I pulled my hayward book and looked but I don't come across that many Hayward sand filters in my area. 

You are right in both questions. When your in normal filter mode water is being pushed thru the sand to the bottom of the filter. And in backwash mode it is in reversed like you had mentioned. Pushing the sand up and stirring it up breaking up clumps and debris to be pushed out of the filter to the drain hose or pipe you have.  

Thanks Splashman,

I received a new  Lateral Assembly SX244DA and it appears to be the correct p/n (although I haven't installed it yet--might be a week until I get to this task). 

Also thanks for the explanation on water flow through the filter.

I will update after I install the new Lateral Assembly SX244DA.

Thanks again,

Dave