HotSpring Freshwater Salt Sys - chemical challenges

cchaynes

Relatively new tub, just a few months

• We seemed to need to add dichlor far too often, thus we weren't sure if it was working despite it saying that i it was
  • Went a away and came back to a swamp (that shouldn't happen according to HS) temp was lowered to 80 and salt was "running"
  • Since we returned we have struggled to get the levels right and couldn't get a free chlorine reading, just the total.
  • Due to having to operate with so much Dichlor, the stabilizer is high so we finally gave up today and emptied it to start over.
  • Leslies tested it and said that they thought we should be using an oxidising shock instead and only add the dichlor weekly.  That differs from the HS guide.

Any thoughts?

We will get it balanced today and then set it to vacation mode as we head to our other home for a couple of weeks.  Who knows if it will manage to maintain or not.

Are we doing something wrong?  Maybe just overdoing the dichlor, it just never seemed to get high enough despite me setting it to 7 plus and boosting it

Thanks in advance

First and foremost, follow your dealer's suggestions first.  Do not trust Leslie's advise at this time.

Secondly, if your spa is new that means it needs more sanitizer to get things clean. It'll take several months to fully flush out the plumbing and get everything "sanitized" sufficiently.  Your system is having trouble maintaining sanitation levels because the salt system can only produce so much chlorine. 

When the water is properly balanced and after the spa has been fully sanitized, your tub will have no problem maintaining proper chlorine output at between 4 and 6 on the output.    Until then, you will have trouble with chlorine and it will seem like you're adding too much. 

But like I said, it's also partially because your spa is new.  After a year of service you will not have the same problems you're having currently.  The thing is you're not alone, a lot of salt system customers are experiencing the same thing.  Search around and you'll find 9 out of 10 users seem to be encountering the same problem - that's actually why Watkins released the "new" freshwater salt system - because the original system which was built to last 4 years only lasted 1-2 years because all users kept the system running at max output 24/7 trying to balance and sanitize the new spa. The new 4-month titanium cartridge solves this issue - it's built to work all 4 months running at max output before getting replaced with a fresh one. 

My Hotspring dealer told me they actually include a full gallon of straight Chlorox bleach with every new spa they sell equipped with the salt system because it takes a LOT of chlorine to get things going initially.  

My advice would be to work with your Hotspring dealer, follow their advice - they are your main point of contact for any and all warranty work.  They should also have experience with your local water supply and knowledge how to get it balanced and working properly with the salt system.   It's rough but don't give up especially after all this hard work, try one last time to get things balanced again and if not, request them to switch you over to an ozonator (or ask them if they can install an ozonator in your spa - some experts are running both the salt system and the ozonator concurrently to reduce the workload your titanium cartridge must perform to keep the spa sanitized. )

Personally I read far too many headaches from new spa owners with both the older ACE salt system and the new Freshwater salt system.  After consulting with my dealer and wet-testing multiple spas with and without the salt system, I opted to skip the feature for my initial delivery/setup. Maybe in a few years I'll opt to switch, but for now I'm completely happy with my Hotspring Jetsetter and the alternative Ozonator system.    My care routine consists of adding 1/2 teaspoon of dichlor per person per 30 minutes in the spa (rounding up to nearest 30 minutes) after my soak then running the clean function for 10 minutes.  Once a month I clean the filters and check the PH (add Baking soda if necessary).    Every four months replace the silver ion stick in the main filter line and that's it (and drain/refill water every 12 months).   Otherwise I was told to not bother testing anything else.  

Stop using Dichlor for anything but start-up.  If you need to add chlorine after the start-up, use liquid chlorine (regular bleach or pool shock).  You shouldn't need to be using dichlor weekly.  You shouldn't need to add chlorine regularly unless your bather load is super high.

I'm pretty certain that if you just set it to 1 and leave you're going to have an issue.  You need to add chlorine right away.  If on day 2 you have less than 3ppm free chlorine, add chlorine again.  Repeat daily until you have a 3ppm chlorine residual.  

High CYA can cause issues as can high phosphates.  Also, are you using the silver ion too?

Year to date I have sold 75 hot tubs with the Freshwater Salt System.  Other than a few cartridges failing around 3 months, the system has worked well.  I have had a few customers with issues and on almost every one it was due to not chlorinating daily upon start-up. 

39 minutes ago, castletonia said:

Stop using Dichlor for anything but start-up.  If you need to add chlorine after the start-up, use liquid chlorine (regular bleach or pool shock).  You shouldn't need to be using dichlor weekly.  You shouldn't need to add chlorine regularly unless your bather load is super high.

I'm pretty certain that if you just set it to 1 and leave you're going to have an issue.  You need to add chlorine right away.  If on day 2 you have less than 3ppm free chlorine, add chlorine again.  Repeat daily until you have a 3ppm chlorine residual.  

High CYA can cause issues as can high phosphates.  Also, are you using the silver ion too?

Year to date I have sold 75 hot tubs with the Freshwater Salt System.  Other than a few cartridges failing around 3 months, the system has worked well.  I have had a few customers with issues and on almost every one it was due to not chlorinating daily upon start-up. 

Not sure what silver ion is, just have been using the dichlor until i got the non chlorine shock to attempt to jump start it.  How does one know if the cartridge was failing?  The computer suggests its fine.  I read that adding liquid bleach  makes the PH go out of whack is that not a concern?

Thanks!

Generally if the cartridge is failing you will get either an error on the display or could be getting a low salt reading even when the salt is fine.  The Silver Ion cartridge is a gray mineral cartridge that goes in by the filter.  It allows you to have a lower chlorine level and still maintain sanitary water.  I include it with every chlorine system I sell, saltwater included.  Liquid bleach does have a high pH, but it does not contain CYA.  I would rather add a bit of pH down every few weeks than have to change water more frequently.

1 minute ago, castletonia said:

Generally if the cartridge is failing you will get either an error on the display or could be getting a low salt reading even when the salt is fine.  The Silver Ion cartridge is a gray mineral cartridge that goes in by the filter.  It allows you to have a lower chlorine level and still maintain sanitary water.  I include it with every chlorine system I sell, saltwater included.  Liquid bleach does have a high pH, but it does not contain CYA.  I would rather add a bit of pH down every few weeks than have to change water more frequently.

Thanks!

So, you just need the bleach to get it up and running and then as shock maybe weekly?  What is picked up at leslies was Fresh ‘n clear oxidizing shock (Potassium peroxymonosulphate), is that the "pool shock" that you would suggest?  Bleach is cheaper though!

I will need a new cartridge soon, are they available online?  My dealer is a bit of a hike!

Thanks

Bleach is necessary on start-up and maybe afterward on a need be basis.  I have some customers who rarely need it and others that use more than I think they should.  If you use bleach, make sure it is regular bleach, not the splash less or stuff with fragrance.  I give my customers a gallon of liquid pool shock, which is twice as strong as bleach.  The Fresh 'n Clear is a completely different product, it is a non-chlorine shock.  Not bad to use, it just won't add chlorine.

Cartridge has to be purchased from your dealer.  At this time they are not available for online sales.