New Hot Tub Woes

hendr1x

Oh man...so I got a my new (used) hot tub up and running 3 days ago.  I guess I didn't realize what I was getting into from the start but to save you a long story I really would just like some help on the chemistry of things.  I started off buying test strips and everything was looking good in the beginning using them.  I brought my water to the local pool place and this is what the report said....starting with the good stuff...saturdation index is normal, TDS : 200, calcium hardness : 177, CYA 2.  The issues... they told me to do in the following order 15 minutes between each step

1) Low Total Alkalinity: 102, add 2 tbsp on spa total alkalinity increaser

2) ph Adjustment Required : 8.1, Add 2 tsps(s) of spa ph Decreaser

3) Low Bromine : .3, add 1tbsp + 1 tsp of brominating concentrate

I did this.

I also bought the liquid test kit : Poolmaster 22260 online and it arrived this afternoon.  So when I went to test tonight...I mean this kit makes it impossible to determine bromine.  Apparently I have to differentiate between the slightest shades of yellow and I honestly don't think I can do it.  It sure seems like my I am the highest level however...I used the test strips I have (two different brands) and they confirm the same...around 10 maybe?

I don't know what do from here....the pool shop is closed until Saturday so I guess no using the tub until then?  I only yesterday founds @waterbear guide and I realize I did a horrible job starting things off...I just filled up the tub and let it get hot and then started adding chemicals the morning after the first use.  He made is seem like I don't have a bromine bank at all so I ordered some straight sodium bromide which should be here Friday.  

So I would appreciate any guidance...I'll tell you I don't trust the pool place at all..they said they don't offer anything but the strips which as I have read are worthless...they also don't see sodium bromide straight at all.  I would really like to know if the other test kits any better for being able to determine the difference in levels....I know Taylor is recommended but maybe you guys just have a better eye then I do.  That involves waiting a week+ for it unfortunately.  Is there any salvaging the current setup or should I just drain and start from scratch?  

Thanks for any help you can provide.  I really appreciate it.