Benzalkonium Chloride in a spa

Rhino015

Hey guys

I had a little bit of an algae problem in my spa so I emptied most of the water and replaced it and ran the cleaning cycle multiple times with cleaning the filter a couple times within a few days while adding a fair bit of sanitiser. It seemed to make a big difference but I still had a slightly green tinge to the water and some slight sliminess, so I wanted to be sure the algae was gone. I was looking at algaecides and tossing up whether I should just add more sanitiser and see how it goes. Then I saw some on sale at the shops so I just grabbed some there. 

long story short I added some to my spa and then realised a few days later that it says “not for use in a spa” so now I’m a bit concerned. It says it contains Benzalkonium Chloride. I can see references to that being in spa pipe cleaners as well. Googling doesn’t tell me why it wouldn’t be suitable for a spa when it is for a pool. 

Is it likely to be an issue at all, or should I drain the spa to be safe? I’ve used the spa since (I put it in a week ago and used it on the weekend a couple days after I put it in) and I didn’t notice any issues.