White flakes chlorine doesn't dissolve

Hi,

I'm at wits end with this. I've had 3 different Spa places give me suggestions and none of it works. There are these white flakes that I cant seem to get rid of. Picture attached. I have tried those super cleaners 4 times. I have tried super shocking the spa 2 times and left it for 5 days. After each try it just comes back. And each time I empty it and I blow water through all the lines. 

Its a Caldera Niagara spa and its only 3 years old. 

In the picture it is sitting in Straight Clorox and hasn't changed in 2 hours. Its one of the larger specimens at 1/4 inch. All of the other websites say it will dissolve with bleach if its mold. 

All of the particles are very thin like onion peel. 

Anybody out there that really knows what they are talking about, I'd like to hear from you.

EDIT: Woke up this morning and the flake was still in there, and its gooey now, but certainly hasnt "disappeared" as other sites have suggested. This is sitting in full strength Clorox bleach overnight.

EDIT 2 Its a Friggin Manufactures Defect !!!!!

Thanks

Mike

whitestuff.png

Hi Mike:  You may have a Calcium Stearate issue going on.  Has this been a reoccurring problem since day 1 or is is just happening now?

If you turn the jets on high does the spa seem to have the white “snow globe” effect?  In any event, after placing the white particle in bleach for that period of time we can concur that your problem is NOT White Mold.  There are a few protocols you can use to alleviate these white flakes.  I recommend that you research how to eliminate Calcium Stearate in hot tub plumbing.  There are numerous postings from people who have successfully conquered this dilemma.

So, after 4 people and all thier suggestions, What I found out was that this is a manufacturing defect of Watkins Manufacturing. Some chemical they used in the air lines causes this. I will be calling Caldera in the morning. From what I know , they don't tell anybody, but there is a Technical Service Bulletin about this problem.

Is this what you are talking about Ahhsomeguy ?

Hi Mike:  You did not answer my questions which are important to positively diagnose as to whether or not you have this problem.  Based on the age of your tub,  if it was manufactured in 2016, you probably do NOT have the issue you are referring to.  Watkins, like many other manufacturers, did not cause this problem.  However, they would be a great source of information for you to eliminate this condition, if indeed you do have it.  I have my doubts you do have that sue as you mention that this phenomenon just began recently.  Let’s say you do have it.  There are some proven remedies to purge the calcium from the tubing.  Once gone, it will not return.  Don’t be too hard on Watkins.  They are a great company who really care about your satisfaction.  I realize this can be a frustrating issue but one that is fixable over a period of a few days.  I am not aware of any technical bulletin about this.  I would love to, see it if you obtain it.  Thanks Mike.  

So its interesting that being 2016 falls right in the middle of when the problem has been reported. I spoke with a former Watkins tech and the problem was between 2014 and 2018. The other reason I suspect it's the same problem is because I tried EVERYTHING else. I'm not blaming them except not letting anyone know.  As far as the service bulletin, I'm not privy to that info, I'm just taking the techs word. He was a 15 year tech for them. The Watkins serial number is NIB2U1073. Also, to answer your question, it just showed up but this is the first time we are using it in the past 6 months.We used it a lot the first year,  less the second. So the water set quite a while.  But I tried the bleach test and it did nothing. 

I've had precipitate in my tub 2 times now.  don't remember much about the first time but I do think it was flakes.  I might have been using chlorine tablets at that time.  The last time I was doing a drain and refill.  I refilled, adjusted the pH and Alkalinity and added a bromine boost but I added way too much as my strips where showing bright purple for high levels.    Shortly after I found a pH stabilizer and added it.  I immediately got a white precipitate but it was very fine.  Eventually the filter got all the stuff out of my tub and the bromine level came down.  

I figure it was some sort of chemical reaction.  

What sanitizer are you using?

That problem was for Spas built in late 2014, 2015 and very early in 2016.  Please remember, not every manufacturer had the issues.

• 6 months later...

So I have a caldera kauai from late 2015 and Just having this issue as well. I just used ahh some and 3 gallons of 6% vinegar on a 60 hour soak then drained the tub.  flushed the lines with my power washer and still had a lot of white flakes comes out. Did it until I didn’t see see many coming out and drained and dried the Remaining. Filled it back up had some white flakes in the tub. Skimmed what I could then installed a old filter that I had cleaned. Looks like that took care of what was floating in the tub. I think I’ll probably have to do the process Again. Any other recommendations?