Looking for first hot tub in the twin cities - help please

Danno

Hi, we are looking for our first hot tub and I’m hoping you can help with some advise. We live in the Twin Cities, so efficiency during the winter extremes is very important for us. I’m not overly concerned with number of jets, stereos, lights, etc. What I am concerned with is insulation, reliability (in the hot tub and the dealer), and TCO. I’m curious to hear from others on here what their buying experience was and how they feel their hot tub did getting through this last brutal winter. I’d also love to hear opinions on purification systems (salt, chemical, ozone, etc).

We are looking to get a 5-6 person hot tub for outside and I expect to pay between $8-12k when all said and done.

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

I do not work for Arctic spas but I have one - it's built for a harsh climate and I've had mine for nearly 10 years in New England.   It's outside.

Total cost of ownership is low - I had to replace the vinyl cover jacket (but NOT the inserts) - after 10 years, that was around $350;   a pump last fall ($900 or so) - and two years ago a leak - the tub is NOT foam packed but with a heavily insulated cabinet = you get a leak ,  it's easy to fix.

The Arctic Spa covers are the best.  Well insulated and LONG-LASTING.   Most covers have a lifespan of three-four years,  they get waterlogged.   Mine = nine, ten years,  the vinyl jacket had tears,  rips - but the innards were bone dry.

We did have their salt purification system (called "Onzen") but for a variety of reasons we shut it off,  we use chemicals (Clhorinating concentrate,  Ph booster,  Enhanced Shock) - it's cheaper than the onzen cells.

So I am an advocate of Arctic Spas - so - there's my two cents.

Generally - if you buy a hot tub,  regardless of its brand =

- dealer support is essential - so - go to a dealer

- my advice = avoid electronics (TVs,  stereos) - if you want sound,   you can use outdoor speakers and an indoor stereo / iPad.   Or go to WalMart or Target and buy a $40 boom box.   Most dealers,  be they in a showroom,  or even a traveling road show - will say "Icksnay" to stereos and TVs - those draw the most post-sale warranty work.

- Electrical  = DO IT RIGHT.   Hire a licensed master electrician who knows how to hook it up.   Follow all local electrical codes.    Make sure (s)he installs the correct GFCI.   Pull permits if you have to.  You don't want to horse around with 1500 liters of water,  220 volts and six rear ends.   A good dealer will have a good electrician who knows this stuff ,  this specialty well.   Follow the dealer's advice.  Even if you have to pay more.   You'll sleep better.   

- capacity 5/6 is fine;   ninety percent of the time it'll likely be just you and one other person

- if pragmatically possible - do not use bathing suits.  Wear nothing.   Bathing suits foul up the water and in Minnesota you may not be able to drain/fill it in January to clean it up.

- Secure it.   If you have little kids in the neighborhood,  ensure they can't get into it.

- etiher Secure its view -or- get the OK from your neighbors on nudity.    If its just you and a significant other you won't want to bother with bathing suits.

- you DO want enough jets for massage,  etc.    You don't have to go overboard but the more the better off you'll be.