Hot tub pump runs for a few seconds then shuts off

Avisk8

Was running g great for months but....My hot tub pump will turn on for a few seconds then off then repeats this process until the pump overheats.   I replaced the capacitor and the same thing happens.   I am not sure if it is the pump or the control board causing the problem.   When the pump is running it only works on low speed (2 speed 240volt pump)  when I push the jets button to get it into high speed it just turns off. 

Balboa vs500

Not sure on tub model...stickers were removed before I got it. 

• 3 months later...

I have a similar issue..my pump Wil Humm / buzz then shut off (no breaker trips) it will do this repeatedly  Sometimes it turns on and runs for a few seconds  (sometimes for a few hours though way rarer) nothing is stuck When the motor buzzes I can turn the pump by hand and it will start (maintaining full low pump speed) for a second or two and shut off again. If I select the jets option (high speed) it does the exact same thing. It isn't blocked it's running then just stops and tries to start again. I don't see it being a start capacitor  because I don't think that would let it just die when it is running. It does start on low speed by itsself about every 50 or 60 buzz/pause/buzz cycles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

i have a similar problem with my spa.  Did you ever find the cause/cure ?

On 8/12/2019 at 1:11 AM, 70_ragtop said:

I have a similar issue..my pump Wil Humm / buzz then shut off (no breaker trips) it will do this repeatedly  Sometimes it turns on and runs for a few seconds  (sometimes for a few hours though way rarer) nothing is stuck When the motor buzzes I can turn the pump by hand and it will start (maintaining full low pump speed) for a second or two and shut off again. If I select the jets option (high speed) it does the exact same thing. It isn't blocked it's running then just stops and tries to start again. I don't see it being a start capacitor  because I don't think that would let it just die when it is running. It does start on low speed by itsself about every 50 or 60 buzz/pause/buzz cycles.

13 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Dubs, there are several different issues on this dead thread. As I suggested to Steve above, start a new thread. Include some basic information because all hot tubs are not the same. We will be happy to help if we have enough info to do so.

I'm not giving up

Remove pump connection at the circuit board. Using a multi meter test for power coming off circuit board in low speed and high speeds. If you have correct voltage coming off the circuit board going to the pump in both speeds...Replace the pump

Rd you still with me...any recommendations to add

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi.

I have a 2018 Hot Springs (Hot Spot) Stride.

240V Singe pump with two speeds.

I turn on the jets and it runs for about 45 seconds and stops for 4 minutes, then repeats this pattern.

It does not trip the breaker. A few times I see the red light indicating the heater is on and I checked the voltage of 120 per leg. I have replaced the heater element since then, because a professional told me that was the problem. Not true.

I also bench tested the motor with water flowing through it, and it ran 20 minutes with no problem.

I just replaced the hi-limit sensor and the temperature sensor. I also tried jumping the pressure switch lines to bypass it. What else is there to check?  Kenny

17 hours ago, kenny spa fixxer said:

Hi.

I have a 2018 Hot Springs (Hot Spot) Stride.

240V Singe pump with two speeds.

I turn on the jets and it runs for about 45 seconds and stops for 4 minutes, then repeats this pattern.

It does not trip the breaker. A few times I see the red light indicating the heater is on and I checked the voltage of 120 per leg. I have replaced the heater element since then, because a professional told me that was the problem. Not true.

I also bench tested the motor with water flowing through it, and it ran 20 minutes with no problem.

I just replaced the hi-limit sensor and the temperature sensor. I also tried jumping the pressure switch lines to bypass it. What else is there to check?  Kenny

PLEASE start a new thread instead of bumping a several year old thread that is not related to YOUR spa.

In that thread, include the info you provided here AND include pictures of the spa pack, the wiring diagram on the inside cover and of your equipment area.