Hot Spring Pulse vs. Hot Spring Grandee

Hello! I'm looking at a 2018 Pulse and a 2018 Grandee. The Pulse is $8,995 and the Grandee is $11,895. I'm looking for opinions on both models and if the prices are fair. Both include stairs, cover and lifts.  What do you love about the Pulse or Grandee? We're pretty torn at the moment so any insight would be helpful. Thank you! 20190416_164108.thumb.jpg.eca67fcba0301c07679e720eb7767c83.jpg

20190416_164148.jpg

20190416_164306.jpg

20190416_164252.jpg

We could definitely schedule a wet test for both. We sat in both tubs a few different times and found the Grandee to feel oddly small (because you lose one corner seat to the filter).  I noticed that the Grandee has a polymeric substructure and base pan so I'm not sure if that would make the lifespan on it longer, or at least longer enough to consider coughing up a few extra thousand. I'd be interested in the moto massage function on the Grandee but my wife wasn't too into it.  How big of a difference does it make compared to the jets on the Pulse?

Thanks for the opinion on the prices too. We thought they seemed fair and really liked that they were listed on each tub. Checked out a Jacuzzi/Bullfrog dealer and they had no prices listed on the tubs and a super limited selection. Asked the price of one of the tubs twice and the dealer gave us different prices each time so we wrote them off immediately. 

I sell Hot Spring, just an FYI.  I like the Grandee a lot.  I personally don’t care about the polymer frame.  Yes it will probably last longer, but it’s not why I would buy it over a Pulse.

Besides the moto-massage, I prefer larger jets as I feel they are more therapeutic.  I also prefer the filtration, touch screen control panel and overall design.

I had the chance to sit in a Pulse for the first time about a month ago.  It far exceeded my expectations.  I can say that I liked 4 or the 6 seats.  

I would have no issue owning a Pulse but if given the choice, I would choose a Grandee.  To me, a wet test is important.  I love the moto-massage, my wife likes it but could easily do without.  I also generally prefer open concept hot tubs but the Hot Spring Aria is my favorite and it has a lounge.

The Grandee and the Pulse haves similar water capacity which is why the Grandee may not seem a lot bigger in the inside.

Where are you?  Those prices seem insanely cheap.  My local dealer is at least 2k more than that on the grandee.

At those prices I would definately buy the grandee.  The wood sturcture doesn't bother me; but having owned 2 hot tubs previously (15 years of ownership) the polymeric tub in the base of the highline and the ceramic filters you can clean in the dishwasher seem worthwhile upgrades...

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 5:15 AM, Nunswithknives said:

Hello! I'm looking at a 2018 Pulse and a 2018 Grandee. The Pulse is $8,995 and the Grandee is $11,895. I'm looking for opinions on both models and if the prices are fair. Both include stairs, cover and lifts.  What do you love about the Pulse or Grandee? We're pretty torn at the moment so any insight would be helpful. Thank you! 20190416_164108.thumb.jpg.eca67fcba0301c07679e720eb7767c83.jpg

20190416_164148.jpg

20190416_164306.jpg

20190416_164252.jpg

As for the Grandee, especially for a NXT, that is a pretty good price. I got mine at $12400 + sales tax.
Don't mind the structure as well. I love it.  I believe my grandee to be well plumbed, adequately powered, extremely comfortable, energy efficient, and low maintenance. It's the best tub FOR ME because it met all of my requirements, was comfortable. 
Assuming everything is equal to you and money is not the deciding factor, I would try to wet test both and see which you like the best. Both Hot Spring and Caldera are owned by Watkins, so mfg support will be the same.

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2019 at 10:54 PM, Nunswithknives said:

We could definitely schedule a wet test for both. We sat in both tubs a few different times and found the Grandee to feel oddly small (because you lose one corner seat to the filter).  I noticed that the Grandee has a polymeric substructure and base pan so I'm not sure if that would make the lifespan on it longer, or at least longer enough to consider coughing up a few extra thousand. I'd be interested in the moto massage function on the Grandee but my wife wasn't too into it.  How big of a difference does it make compared to the jets on the Pulse?

Thanks for the opinion on the prices too. We thought they seemed fair and really liked that they were listed on each tub. Checked out a Jacuzzi/Bullfrog dealer and they had no prices listed on the tubs and a super limited selection. Asked the price of one of the tubs twice and the dealer gave us different prices each time so we wrote them off immediately. 

Where are you from!? We are in Pennsylvania and getting quotes $6K higher

4 hours ago, Snh said:

Spot on with pricing.  Do you think prices will go low again ?  I can’t justify spending $6K more when I know people have bought for $10-11K

Demand is high and inventory is limited.  This scenario probably won’t change for a year or two at least.  I wouldn’t expect to ever see a Grandee under $13-$14k, or a Pulse under $11k.  I was higher priced pre-Covid, fwiw.

21 hours ago, Snh said:

Do you think prices will go low again ?  I can’t justify spending $6K more when I know people have bought for $10-11K

Pricing for hottubs in general continues to increase over time.  I don't see prices ever going down especially for Hotspring Hottubs.  I keep an eye on what people paid for the Jetsetter and it's crazy to think they were selling for around $6k not too long ago and now retailing for double that depending on the dealer.

As the old saying goes "buy cheap, buy twice" and it rings especially true in this industry.  You can buy a cheaper tub, but it won't have the same lifespan as a flagship Hotspring Highlife tub.  

That said, I personally saved 20% on my Hotspring Highlife purchase by visiting both dealers equidistant from my rural location - one dealer was extremely expensive and I didn't like the dealer (big backyard makeover store selling multiple big ticket items, uneducated sales rep on commission, etc), the other dealer was a small family run business selling/servicing one brand of spas exclusively.      Not everyone is fortunate enough to have multiple dealers within 100 miles of their location, but in my case I lucked out - the better dealer was literally thousands cheaper.     If you really like the Grandee but don't like the price, see if you can find another Hotspring dealer in the region to get a quote.

Lastly, you can easily save over 50% if you're willing to look at an older used tub. I watch the classifieds daily for used hottubs and see a Hotspring Highlife tub pop up on the market at least once a month in good working condition (might not be the grandee, but one of the highlife models). Although note warranties do not transfer so don't pay top dollar for a two year old used tub.  But the best used Hotspring deals sell fast (less than a day or two if the price is right), so you need to know what to look for and be ready to buy asap.   This summer I saw a 2019 Hotspring Envoy in the classifieds for $7500 (fully working, great condition, seller was moving) - that's easily a $13k+ tub depending on the dealer.    That deal lasted less than 36 hours haha.  Right now I'm watching a 2016 Jetsetter in good working condition listed for $4500