Crushed Concrete as Backfill for Fiberglass Pool

Danny S

Dear friends,

I am just about to pull the trigger on a fiberglass pool and it looks like it's going to be a San Juan Rio. I live in North Eastern Florida, where the soil is very sandy and the water table is pretty high year round. Also, homes are generally built on a bed of sand. Fiberglass installers are few in this area and it appears that their go-to backfill material is sand. I had a conversation with the San Juan guy and he told me that he prefers to use sand here because it is similar to the soil. But if he was up north, he'd use gravel. But he's willing to use whatever I want.

When I said that from everything I've read, gravel is a much better choice, he said that he'd recommend crushed concrete because it packs very well and almost turns solid. The price is the same as sand. The general consensus on all the blogs and sites I've been on is to use clean 1B because. So:

1. should I push for 1B, accept the crushed concrete, or buy into the idea that sand is ok as backfill in FL because the soil is sandy as well?

2. In addition, are San Juan Pools a good product? The only other product I have found around here is Viking.

3. Lastly, when I brought up chlorine vs saltwater, the guy said that he will do either, but for fiberglass, where you use 1/3 of the chemicals anyway, he'd go with a chlorine system because the equipment will last longer in his opinion. What do you think? 

Thank you!!!

• 3 months later...

I am getting ready to have a fiberglass pool installed, so I am wondering what you decided to use for backfill.  I am in centrsl Florida.   One of the paver companies told me he has noticed some fiberglass pools bulge in on the sides.  My installer uses same sand thst x as me out of the hole.