Will a Balboa M7 SUV control pack run without the topside plugged in?

sieb21

Hello

My spa recently stopped working.  The Balboa topside panel shows a very strange display of 3 columns of 3 dashes.  The code is not listed anywhere.  I inspected the circuit board for odor or burning, and everything looks fine.  I reset set the power and the topside powers up goes through the startup sequence, primes the pump and then I get this strange code on the top side panel and it goes unresponsive (or restarts).  My question is this...will the Balboa M7 operate without the topside plugged into the circuit board so I can see if the topside is the problem?

Thanks, 

Jim

• 1 year later...

Hi Jim and others:

Curious if anyone else has found a solution to this? Recently started having the same issue... In my case, as soon as powered up, I get the same horizontal lines/dashes on the (Mini) display, straight to 'Pr' (no system or voltage ID), and the pump immediately starts to cycle on and off over and over again. Started happening out of the blue one night. 

Tried both 240 and 120 power, no change. Swapped out my Vs500z control board with another (used but functional) spare I had, no change. Went as far as swapping in a brand new pump (needed it anyways, 11 years old)... And still the same issue. 

With only the top side controller and light plugged into the board, I'm wondering if it is the controller now based on this thread? 

Thanks, 

Trevor