04 Hot Springs Vanguard wont heat

Dhunn332

Hello all, Im new here and wanted to reach out for help on a long lasting problem.  I have a 04 model Hot Springs Vanguard spa. My issue is the heater wont stay on. I have talked to multiple techs and had a laundry list of parts thrown at it and still no results. The issue occurs when I first turn on the breaker to the spa, everything turns on like normal, LIM light on main board lights up and the heater light comes on after a few seconds and then goes off after close to 10 seconds. Also at that point, the green ready light on the control head starts flashing and the red light next to it is on. So far I have replaced the high and low limit switches in the heater as well as the pressure switch. I have replaced the heater board, the circulation pump, and the control head. All of these did nothing to solve the problem. I have tried unplugging the tub light since I heard it used to be a rare problem before. I have tried jumpering the pressure switch which causes the same issue to happen except when the heater light cuts off, the red control unplugged light comes on and only the red light on the control head comes on and starts flashing. I have been dealing with this issue for several months now and would love to finally get this fixed so I can enjoy my spa again. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

On a hotsprings, a blinking green light is usually an overheat error.  When the error occurs, is the heater hot to the touch?  You may even hear water boiling inside the heater when that occurs.  If so, I'd look for some sort of flow error.  You may have enough flow to activate the pressure or flow switch, but you may not be moving water fast enough through the heater to prevent overheating.  Remove the filters and see if the problem still occurs.  If the issue goes away, your filters are dirty, which is the cause of many overheat errors.

Also, do you have water moving through the heater?  An air bubble can easily get caught in the tubing and restrict water.   When you replaced the circ pump, did you connect it properly? 

If the tub continues to report overheating and the heater is not hot to the touch, it indicates an electronic problem.  Are you sure you didn't swap the circuit board connections for the hi limit and the temp sensors? 

Dave